Laying On Kitten

GreatGram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New cat owner, actually its my daughters cat but shes not here. And im clueless to cats. Pregnant cat had kittens yesterday. One kitten never would latch on. Mom cat wouldnt even clean it. It Just laid there yelping. I cleaned it best i could with soft towel and tried to get it to latch on a tit. Nope. Hes not having it. Mom cat just looks at me like im stupid.
Other new kittens stay in a group. Eat fine. Mom licks them and they are all fluffy and appear fine. But this one its scraggly looking and wont stay with the other new ones. Not sure if his choosing or mom keeps them separated cause i dont sit and watch in box every second. I check on them every couple hours and they are always seperated so i move little guy back with group and walk away. Always come back to him either under mom like shes trying to lay on him?? Or hes just in corner alone.
Is it gonna die?
Why mom cat not like it?
Its not very active. Other kittens crawling all over each other. This little guy doesnt crawl any. I get feeling his legs dot work too well. They move but its like he doesnt have as much energy as others
And mom keeps laying on him!
Any advise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GreatGram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little guy is one at moms head....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You must fight on if you want it to perhaps survive. If you let it be it will almost surely die, yes.
So handfeeding is the answer here. No guarantees given, but a fighting chance.
New cat owner, actually its my daughters cat but shes not here. And im clueless to cats. Pregnant cat had kittens yesterday. One kitten never would latch on. Mom cat wouldnt even clean it. It Just laid there yelping. I cleaned it best i could with soft towel and tried to get it to latch on a tit. Nope. Hes not having it. Mom cat just looks at me like im stupid.
Other new kittens stay in a group. Eat fine. Mom licks them and they are all fluffy and appear fine. But this one its scraggly looking and wont stay with the other new ones. Not sure if his choosing or mom keeps them separated cause i dont sit and watch in box every second. I check on them every couple hours and they are always seperated so i move little guy back with group and walk away. Always come back to him either under mom like shes trying to lay on him?? Or hes just in corner alone.
Is it gonna die?
Why mom cat not like it?
Its not very active. Other kittens crawling all over each other. This little guy doesnt crawl any. I get feeling his legs dot work too well. They move but its like he doesnt have as much energy as others
And mom keeps laying on him!
Any advise
You can begin with smearing some water with honey or white caro syrup on its lips, so it gets some energhy.
And come back, so I know if there is any point with further instructions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They seems all to be points. Are they purebred?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Handfeeding and handraising a weak kitten is usually a lot of work, and you arent sure you will succeed.
Its typically easier with orphans.

So nobody will deem you if you cant or dont want to take this quest upon you. No easy task - BUT fully possible, and you DO have good chances of succeeding.

But its a lot of work, feeding every two hours around the clock, probably stimulating to poo and pee, etc...

But if you dont do it, the kitten will die soon enough if leaved there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I have time so Im writing on. Raw goats milk is very good, pasteurized or powdered goats milk is ok. Otherwise some kommersial kmr, this made by PetAg KMR in powder is very good.
You will probably need to use a little syringe or dropper, as its probably a weak suckler.
In the corner of the mouth, slowly, so it manages to swallow. After a while both you and the kitten will find your routine.
Position: tummy down, head a little up.
Burp afterwards

Keep the kitten warm, in in practice warmed up. IR lamp, or a heating pad. A sock filled with rice, and in 5 minutes in Micro makes good heatings pad.

You will need to eliminate - so it pee and poo...

Feeding every two hours, perhaps even more often.

Good to weigh every day, so you see if it adds at least 6+ grammes a day. But 10+ grammes is even better.

GreatGram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 year old here that isnt gonna let me not try to save it. Just wish i knew what i was doing. Went out this morning and bought kitten millk and bottle at walmart. But little guy doesnt want to suck bottle. Used a dropper and squeeze little bit in mouth to try give him a drink. Mom heard crying....came up on bed when i was doing this and took it by neck and carried him back to box with her

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is too weak to manage a bottle. Dropper or a little syringe is your chance.
Some manage with a little sponge its a new method.

Interesting to hear momma isnt abandoning this huy

GreatGram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is too weak to manage a bottle. Dropper or a little syringe is your chance.
Some manage with a little sponge its a new method.

Interesting to hear momma isnt abandoning this huy
She just keeps laying on him. If i have him out and he squeels she hears...comes and gets him and takes him to box. But then hes seperated him from others. I dont understand. When i see her on top him i pullhim out and move him over next to other kittens. Think thats right thing to do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect the best is if you handraise him all for himself