Laying in kitty litter???

jen14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!  I have a rescue I took in a few months ago and he took to my apt immediately and made himself very much at home.  He has been fine, eating well, going to the bathroom fine etc...  Last night he was on the screened porch and I couldn't get him to come inside, which is unlike him.  Also once I got him inside, I was on the computer and looked over & he was laying in his kitty litter???!!!  Luckily I clean it everytime he goes but... isn't that odd?  I've never seen a cat do this before.  He seemed fine this morning and ate well.  Hopefully when I get in from work tonight he'll be fine as well.  Just wanted to know if anyones cat has done this before. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you had just adopted him and he was doing this, I would guess that he picked up the habit at the shelter. Cats in cages at shelters often lay in their litter boxes. But if it's been a few months since you adopted him, then that is a bit odd. You are right to keep a close eye on him for now - look for any other changes in behavior involving play, eating and drinking water. I have heard of cats laying in litter boxes when they are stressed - either through a physical illness or emotional stress.

Could he possibly need more stimulation in your home? Give him an empty box to see if he just wants a box to play in. Are you playing with him regularly? Just some ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes everything is good, he actually does not like to play very much.  I have gotten him boxes, bought cat furniture, toys etc...  He only likes one piece of rope I have.  But when I am home he is with me and gets lots of attention, brushed, he loves to talk to me.  But he just seemed a bit off yesterday.  I just ordered his flea medication that I was out of, so maybe it's fleas?  He doesn't go outside, just out on a screen patio that is on a 2nd floor.  Well, I guess I'll see when I get home tonight how he is doing & if I need to get him to the vet.  He is eating & drinking ok.  Thanks for the response & suggestions!