Laundry help! Moldy smell on a crochet blanket!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all: 

I've spent the day in my DD's bedroom sorting things when I got to her closet I noticed it smelled.  It didn't take long to locate; and dispose of, the source of the smell.  When we moved in we just put several boxes and containers of things in what is now each of our kid's closets. Things got forgotten about; like these cool home made hand warmers I got at a craft fair.  They had dried corn kernels in them.  They were in a plastic container; thank the Lord!!  So yeah; they decomposed.  I tossed the entire thing because it was just that bad.  I also tossed an old shirt that was on it because that smelled so bad.

But on top of that, in a large plastic bag, was the blanket my aunt crochet for DD's bed.  The blanket itself is fine; it just picked up the odor.  Her bed arrives tomorrow.  I've washed her baby size blankets with little problem; but never with this kind of odor on it.  

What do I was it in to remove the smell?  I have Woolite, All Free & Clear (regular and one with a lavender scent) and powdered Oxyclean.  I have baking soda on hand too.  And febreez.  Advice please!?  I don't want to hurt her blanket.  My Aunt is getting where crocheting is hard on her hands; so these gifts are precious to me.  

(I used Febreez on the floor of her closet since its carpeted and once it dried I don't smell anything in there anymore.)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the febreeze worked on the smell in closet I think I would hit it on the blanket.  Mom used febreeze all the time on slip covers and I got them, washed them and they were fine.  Hope it all works out no matter what you use! 

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just make sure that the Febreeze is safe for the material (type of yarn).  I don't use it myself, so I've never really seen the label, but I would assume that it's safe for cotton, poly, rayon, wool... which are the most common yarn blends.  Since the blanket has been in the bag, and assuming it didn't pick up any mold, there should be no need to do a full on wash.   Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you!!

I'll lay it out on the couch and try the febeez before I go to bed tonight.  My step-dad suggested baking soda in the dryer; but I'm not sure that's safe for the dryer?

Unfortunately I don't have a clothes line to air it outside either.  And then I'll be worried about bringing bugs in with it.  

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If the Febreeze doesn't do the trick, you could put it in the dryer with a couple of fresh dryer sheets.  Make sure the heat is on the lowest possible, and the tumble is set to delicate.

I have a full sized afghan that my grandmother made for me, when I received it, the first thing I asked was if it was washable.  She assured me that it was.  I've washed it several times over the years.  Since then I've learned how to crochet, and I realize that it's really quiet a sturdy stitch.  The danger is with patterns that have largish holes getting caught on the agitator in the wash machine.  But the dryer is usually much more gentle, and there is very little to get caught on.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep Febreze away from the kids, especially their bedding. It's full of toxic chemicals and that's not an urban legend. 

Personally I'd use a different blanket on her bed for a while until the smelly one is washed and/or aired out naturally. 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this would work on your blanket, but I bought a cookbook one time that stank to high heaven from somebody's perfume. It was just terrible. But it was a book that I'd been looking for for quite a while and, at $5.00, well, I wanted to keep the book if I could.

I sprinkled baking soda throughout the pages of the cookbook and then put the book (and the box of baking soda in a large (yard/leaf) trash bag. Tied the bag and put it down in the basement for three weeks. Got it back out, cleaned the book as best I could and I'm using the book. It doesn't smell bad at all.

And, if your blanket can be washed, here's an idea with vinegar (I swear by vinegar, by the way):  http://www.ehow.com/how_8676127_fix-moldy-blanket-smell.html

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be concerned about the baking soda in the dryer also.   I ruined a Dyson vacuum by using the arm and hammer carpet freshner.  They don't make it anymore but it was basically purfumed baking soda.  The stuff is so fine when it's dry it coats everything it comes in contact with.  I would only use dryer sheets in the dryer.  You may just have to let it air out.  I know you want to use it right away but you may have to wait.  If it's washable you could try the idea of the baking soda while it's airing out and then washing it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think this is too late, but eucalyptus and/or tea tree essential oils are perfect for this.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not put it in dryer at all till smell is gone.  If anything go with the dryer sheets put in a bag. 

I know for smoke if I put item in freezer it goes away-never tried it on any other smells though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas!  I wonder if I can fit it in the freezer?  Might have to cook a few meals first! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's washable, right? I guess I'd just wash it---if it's just a smell it should come out with washing. Maybe add a little vinegar or baking soda to the wash water. I would suggest the Oxyclean but I think vinegar is less likely to fade the color. Although most yarn is pretty colorfast.

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All the afghans I crochet are good to go in the washer and dryer.  If it's wool worsted yarn (probably is) then it should be fine to be used in either.  Maybe do the washing on the delicate cycle.  If it's a cotton blend yarn of some sort, should be good to go in the washer and dryer as well.  :)  Maybe ask your Aunt the brand of the yarn, like you were just curious, and then you could look up the yarn blend so you would know if it's OK to put it in the washer/dryer.  :)

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try Febreeze fabric refresher and use a good amt, allowing it to air out and dry in the open.

This should do it, but if it's washable, I def. recommend Tide! The stuff is amazing.

Tumble in the dryer for a short time and shake it out to retain the proper shape and allow to air dry the rest of the way.

This will help it to NOT get that dryer look and will be fresher than ever :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a place where you could hang it outside, but not in the sun, like maybe a porch. It might air out in the fresh air.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was able to get it out with febreeze and some airing.  I don't use febreeze too often; but I'm glad I had it on hand this time.  

I don't really have a great place to hang anything outside.  I've noticed since we put out bird feeders; the birds will bomb anything in their path.  Also DD has seasonal allergies so I was afraid that wouldn't help and I'd end up washing it anyway!  We have a garage; but there isn't much airflow in there.  I didn't think that would help.

But now it's good.  The smell is gone and she looks cozy in her bed with it.

I definitely will check with my Aunt on the type of yarn she used so I know how to wash it properly.  The blanket DD has always slept with from her is a softer one; not like regular baby yarn, just a soft yarn.  It's gotten a fuzzy look over the last few years!  There is just something about a crochet blanket that makes them just so snugly. lol

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to get it out with febreeze and some airing.  I don't use febreeze too often; but I'm glad I had it on hand this time.  

I don't really have a great place to hang anything outside.  I've noticed since we put out bird feeders; the birds will bomb anything in their path.  Also DD has seasonal allergies so I was afraid that wouldn't help and I'd end up washing it anyway!  We have a garage; but there isn't much airflow in there.  I didn't think that would help.

But now it's good.  The smell is gone and she looks cozy in her bed with it.

I definitely will check with my Aunt on the type of yarn she used so I know how to wash it properly.  The blanket DD has always slept with from her is a softer one; not like regular baby yarn, just a soft yarn.  It's gotten a fuzzy look over the last few years!  There is just something about a crochet blanket that makes them just so snugly. lol
glad to hear we all could help. My sister made me 4 blankets with the fringe along the sides and I love these blankets. I have to put them up when I'm not using them cause the cats would peed on these too. Somethings just aren't made for them to pee on. My granddaughter bought me a thin throw for christmas that I finally gave up to Bella and she loves it.