Late Pregnancy - How Long Before Birth?

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, who is 1 year old, is having her first litter and is currently about 61 days pregnant. We plan on getting her spayed when the kittens are 6 weeks old. Anyway, two nights ago I was able to express milk from her lower teats and yesterday I found her hidden in the back of the linen press although I have provided her with two nesting boxes. I moved her back to those areas and she has been laying around, not eating much, and lately has hated being touched a lot more than usual. She does love her tummy being touched/belly being rubbed though and rolls over and starts purring really loudly when you do it. She can't walk more than a few metres without suddenly stopping and laying on her side or her belly. When should I be expecting kittens?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be soon! I would say within a week but they don't often go by the book ;) How long have you been able to see fetal movement?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males until the spay?

She's getting close! It's normal to avoid the nesting boxes until she is in labor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been able to feel fetal movement for about two weeks, and I've also seen it for a similar amount of time although it has become a lot more noticeable over these past few days - the kittens look like they're rolling around inside of her. Although, they haven't been moving around as much today apart from a few kicks here and there. Her tummy, rather than sticking out on both sides, is hanging lower to the ground. This happened about 2 days ago as well.

She's been a little more active today, walking around the house and eating a tiny bit of wet food (mostly licking off the gravy stuff) but no dry food. She normally inhales her wet food. I haven't seen her actively going to a place to nest, she's just laying around on the floor, stretched out.

I've been waiting since last Thursday when she suddenly lost her appetite and started laying in her box, I was a little worried about her giving birth back then since it was a tad early but now she's at 61 days I can relax. But nothing's happened yet.

Yes I am able to keep her inside. She has a litter tray and everything. Especially since the neighbours have snail pellets out in their garden, and the fact that she could get pregnant again, I don't even want to risk it. The only reason she got pregnant was because she escaped through someone's window and didn't come back for two days, before we were able to pay for her to get spayed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It seems she has "dropped" now. Its nearing. A couple of days maybe left, not more. Perhaps even literally just hours.

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no sign of labour. She went back into the linen press again last night. She's currently laying at the foot of the bed. She literally looks like she's sick of being pregnant. I rubbed her belly last night and milk came out one of her lower nipples and she curled around.

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no more progress... lol. I just needed a little advice since I'm going away in two days and don't want to miss the birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, will someone be with your cat? How long will you be away?

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was away for 2 days. My partner was here but he works late hours. She still hasn't had the kittens yet and there's absolutely no sign of her going into labour. It's the 66th day.

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had them today. 5 kittens - 2 boys and 3 girls.

hs1617

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, all kittens are now 8 days old now and growing very well. All perfectly healthy and feeding well. The mother is doing a great job. One of the kittens, a girl, has already opened both of her eyes. Another girl has one eye completely open and the other half open, while the third girl has both eyes half open. The two boys' eyes are still mostly closed but you can see tiny little slots where they're beginning to open.