late night meower

teenam45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a 6 year old boy about 2 months ago. We were his 3rd home. Catboy (the name he came with) is a sweet guy except at 2 am, he starts meowing. Door open, he walks around and meows. Door closed, he scratches and meows. He started this about a month ago. We play with him before bed, he has food, etc. We have another cat (all our animals are rescues) and 2 dogs. They all get along. But what can I do about his meowing? My husband is furious. We have done a week of ignoring but again, nothing works. He has a great personality otherwise- and is medically in great health. Any suggestions or ideas? I truly am sitting here tired and with a headache from lack of sleep. Thank you all.

Tina

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Rosie sometimes does it if l'm upstairs, and Jack does it several times a day, but he does it when he carries a toy in his mouth. Both of them stop when l talk to them, so he might just want some extra attention with being passed from house to house poor thing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teenam45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Rosie. He does get so much attention and I want this to be his forever home. But again, in the middle of the night we can't reinforce the behavior.

teenam45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he can get in but when he does, he just walks around and meows. Then if I put him on the bed, he just walks all over me and meows.. so either way, it doesn't matter.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do you have a safe room that is out of earshot? If he is going to meow in the middle of the night, he may have to be taught that it is unacceptable by way of seperation. You could allow him full run of the house, right up until his meowing keeps you from sleeping and then take him to his room. I have done this with my rescue, and he now runs the house til about 4:30-6am and then wakes me up meowing. I get up and go check on the house, turning on the light to the basement(his space) on my way back to bed. then I wait about a minute for him to start back up, and when he does I put him in his room, shut the door and leave him there until morning. Matt has learned over the course of a month that there was no point meowing to be let out of there, because he was not allowed out until morning. Good luck with your noisy boy

teenam45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. It's funny because my 10 year old son's name is Matt. :)  Catboy has not subsided. In fact, he now is also tearing up our carpet to get into our room. (once in all he wants to do is continue to meow for no reason). He also sleeps during the day in my son's room and tore up his comforter! Not good. My husband is ready to return him but after having 2 previous owners, I would never do that to him. Maybe I could put him in the spare bedroom downstairs if he meows. We would not hear him then, but hopefully he won't ruin that carpet. He does have scratching posts and plenty of toys.

Thank you again,

Tina

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a high energy cat that needs to be played with a bunch.

Easy fix: get another high energy cat that needs to be played with a bunch.