Late Edition: Question of the Day, Saturday 27 August 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy Weekend
Sorry for being late...been having a rough time.

Tell us something you miss from your childhood..

I loved my mother's potato pancakes. We usually had them on Saturday nights...soooo good

I loved my dad's breakfasts. Mom slayed up late so he had morning duty.

What about you? Doesn't have to be food related.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The freedom to just be a kid. Our farm comprised about 90 acres of fields and woods, and it was mine to explore, when there weren't chores to do, and I think that, along with our mongrel dog, I covered them all. Can anyone imagine a kid my age being allowed to do that in these times?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The freedom to just be a kid. Our farm comprised about 90 acres of fields and woods, and it was mine to explore, when there weren't chores to do, and I think that, along with our mongrel dog, I covered them all. Can anyone imagine a kid my age being allowed to do that in these times?
Thats the sad thing. We could be gone all day and our parents didnt need to worry. All that freedom lost

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Simplicity. And not just because as kids we don't have life's responsibilities...things were just more simple, slower paced, not as scary. Today's society, and the lifestyle we are expected to live is just "too much" now.
Can anyone imagine a kid my age being allowed to do that in these times?
I know...same here, going to the park, hiking up small mountains in the bush, swimming in the rapids near my house, even getting candy at the corner store. If someone saw a kid doing that stuff, not only at the age I was at...but also with no adult supervision...sheesh, all hell would break loose.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Riding my bike with friends to the beach. We couldn't wait for school to be out to ride our bikes and spend all day at the beach by ourselves. We had no cell phones so our parents didn't know when we'd be home. They just told us to be home in time for dinner.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No responsibilities, seeing my friends everyday at school, living close to my friends, not having to worry about money because I didn't really know about it

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss all the big family get togethers,both holiday and otherwise,that we had when I was growing up.My grandparents on my Mom's side had several kids,so there was always several cousins and aunts and uncles not to mention a few neighbors.Their house was always packed,and tons of food,and everyone seemed to be happy and we all got along.Then,when my Grandma died,it all stopped.I don't know what the others thought but I was devastated.It's like my family fell apart....and yes,it bothers me to this day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Family time. Every Sunday after church we had dinner at my grandparents with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins. 3 of my grandparents grew up in or near that town and all came from big enough families that there were always extended cousins around at family events. My one grandma and one great aunt are all that’s left of their generation. Even being Introverted; I just really miss those deep, deep roots. Living without family nearby has just never felt quite right. I’ve been content too; but then I find myself missing that.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss all the big family get togethers,both holiday and otherwise,that we had when I was growing up.My grandparents on my Mom's side had several kids,so there was always several cousins and aunts and uncles not to mention a few neighbors.Their house was always packed,and tons of food,and everyone seemed to be happy and we all got along.Then,when my Grandma died,it all stopped.I don't know what the others thought but I was devastated.It's like my family fell apart....and yes,it bothers me to this day.
I understand you completely. When my Mom and her Twin Sister passed, so did all the family get togethers. Now only email and phone calls are my connections.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot of families had one or two people who kind of held families together with those get togethers. There is a lot to be said for just spending time together, not for any reason but just being together. Families don't stay in the same area like they tended to do before. That generation with the stay at home moms who did things like the get togethers that revolved around a meal are passing away now. I am sure many of those women who did the work involved may not have been as happy with the work as we remember it. Times have changed, no judgement as to that it just is what it is.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a lot of families had one or two people who kind of held families together with those get togethers.
My cousins are working hard to keep us together on my dads side. I mean my grandma is still living; but 3 months from 104. One cousin just bought a lake camp with her husband which is giving everyone a place to gather besides her house or our Grandma's. My Dad is frequently there even if my aunt doesn't have my grandma there. It definitely takes effort. There is some minor resentment/frustration that I am always the one to go visit them; but when I'm there I feel spoiled by it all.

My mom, Aunt and Uncle are trying to do more things together even though the live apart now that Grandpa is gone. Apparently my Aunt went camping with my Uncle and his wife somewhere so remote there was no cell phone reception. And it was an experience. :lol: Everyone is well versed in the woods and camping; but everyone is a bit too independent for that level of constant closeness. But it's still really nice to see everyone in on the effort. I know that aunt spends time with a cousin often too. I guess we just need to figure our the right amount of time. Maybe we are all introverts on some level. :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you completely. When my Mom and her Twin Sister passed, so did all the family get togethers. Now only email and phone calls are my connections.
At least you have some contact.Both my sister and I have reached out to a few of our cousins and get nothing back.I guess it's their loss,right?