Last trimester questions...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New question[emoji]9786[/emoji]️...

Eva's kittens are 4 wks old now and I've been putting down a saucer of KMR formula and have also blended kitten food with it sometimes but they are not interested. They're drinking water but do not seem interested in anything else other than mama's milk. How often should I be offering it to them? Eva is still stimulating them to "potty" too so I haven't put down a litter box...should I?
Thanks for any advice!![emoji]128573[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's right. Four weeks is young. Wait a week and try again.

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question...
Eva's kittens are 8 wks old and they're no longer nursing and I had her spayed last week. She seems very thin and her fur is looking thinned out too. Is this normal? She's eating a little bit but no where near what she was eating while nursing. I'm thinking the fur loss is due to hormonal changes?
Here's a pic of her babies...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are adorable! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Yes, probably hormonal changes. Mom has been through a lot with pregnancy, nursing, and spaying. Her appetite will not be nearly what it was when she was pregnant and nursing, however, it should still be decent.

She should begin putting on weight and her fur should improve soon if she's getting adequate nutrition.

What is she eating now?

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I think I just needed reassurance;). She's getting canned food (Fancy Feast) offered at least 3 times a day and dry kitten food (Pro Plan Savor) left down all day. She seems to only want to eat in the area that I feed her kittens...not in her normal (pre-kitten) place in the laundry room. I think she really would prefer to still be with them...I've been keeping them separated while she's healing and dying up. They can all still see each other through the pen but I only let her be with them when I can supervise or else she will try to nurse them...she's been such a sweet mama.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's fine for her to still be nursing. Is there a reason that you want to stop her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
J jenny37

Oh, goodness! Please let her be with her kittens. It will not affect her healing. My cat came home from her spay and nursed immediately. The kittens were 8 weeks old. She nursed them for 16 weeks. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, she is with them every day for the majority of the days;). I just liked to supervise while she was healing and weaning. I wanted to make sure the kittens could eat on their own before they go to their new homes. The gate is really more to keep the dogs out anyway. She is healed up and they all have run of the house now since the kittens are eating on their own, she isn't letting them nurse really, and the dogs have learned to not eat their food. So all good[emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear! Thank you for the update! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
4 of Eva's kittens all went to loving homes with friends and 1 stayed with us[emoji]128571[/emoji]. I have a question though... The kitten still nurses on Eva and Eva seems to enjoy it but I'm wondering how I can stop it? She isn't producing any milk so I'm sureit's just a pacifying or bonding kind of thing but I'd like to help them move past that "phase". Any suggestions?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't any need to intervene. It's comforting to mom and baby and they'll stop when they're ready. They're so sweet together!

jenny37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks![emoji]128573[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! Mom will let her baby know when she's had enough. My kittens nursed their mom for months!