Last of the Summer Peppers

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think that's pretty much the last, although some of the plants are still flowering. I was pretty greedy this time around and took quite a few of the peppers, even the ones that I wouldn't have normally taken because they were too small. Just not sure about a frost/freeze and I don't want to lose them. I went up to the garden this afternoon and picked what I could.

That green pepper on at the bottom of the picture isn't bruised; it's just dirt from all the rain we had the past couple of days. 

Since I was dehydrating red seedless grapes, I added a couple trays of green pepper chunks....I've never dried peppers and thought I'd give it a shot.

I got a quart of green and hot peppers; I just threw them together in the same bag for the freezer. I took me about 2-1/2 hours to pick them, wash them, dry them, and dice them.

There's nothing else in the garden that's doing anything, other than the peppers. Everything else is done.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How good it that!

We're just coming into pepper season, so this is a great reminder to make my favourite stuffed baked ones.. yum...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
They do look nice, don't they? Oooh, I love stuffed peppers and didn't make any all summer.  Yum

Wasn't overly impressed with the dried pepper chunks though; I threw them away last night. They blackened and shriveled up too much and they didn't even taste good. Ick. I suppose I could have ground them into pepper powder or something, but they just didn't look that great.

Getting ready to take the raisins out of the dehydrator in about 30 minutes or so; they're still just a wee bit sticky. Rick tasted one; I asked him how it tasted. He said, "It's a raisin!" 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I planted poblano peppers this year for the first time. Aaron wasn't that impressed with them. I have a big bag of the last of them in the fridge that I have to figure out something for. I had stuffed some of those and regular green peppers a few weeks ago and froze them. Maybe I'll do more of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a dehydrator, Karen. Dried poblano peppers would be really good; you could even grind them down into some powder and keep it on hand. I like poblano peppers.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
No, no dehydrator here. The peppers are still sitting in the fridge. :sigh: I think it is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I may be able to do something with them then.