Last names........which do you go by?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what I'll do. It's really something I've been struggling with as I'm getting married in June. I really love my last name. I was adopted and it means alot ot me. It also has alot of weight in my home town and since I want to take over my dad's law practice I think it's be good to keep my last name. Also, my brother only has a daughter and I'm not sure he'll be having any more kids which means the name would end with us. At the same time his brother already has 3 boys to carry on their name.

At the same time I love hy honeys name (which is even on a building in his home town) and I know it would mean alot to him if I took his last name as well. I'm ok with hyphenation but I'm not sure he is.

I'm leaning toward keeping my full name and adding on his last name so essnetially I'd have my first name, 2 middle names (my middle name & maiden name) and his last name.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was proud to take my husband's name when we married, even though it was just as difficult to pronounce and spell as my maiden name. As for making my maiden my middle or hyphenating, that would have been a no-go -- in some dialects in the south, it would have sounded way too much like "water spigot"

When we divorced seven years later, I saw no reason to keep his last name, since we shared no children and I held no certificates or degrees with his name.

I have an old friend who dropped her 1st husband's name like a hot potato after their divorce, and chose to retain her maiden name after her second marriage, primarily because his family did not like her and she did not want to be associated with that name.

IF (and when) I ever marry again, it will be because I wish to become one with this person, and I will have no trouble taking his name.

kura

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am engaged at the minute (but we don't plan on getting married for about a year or so yet) At the moment my initials are D.A.L and when I get married they will be changed to D.A.M
So I guess I'll be damed from the start

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reverted to my last name when I got divorced a million years ago! I never took David's name and never plan to. I like my last name, and in Canada (at least for French Canadians), it's not uncommon for the wife to keep her name - sometimes kids end up with one or the other or a double-barreled name.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kura

I am engaged at the minute (but we don't plan on getting married for about a year or so yet) At the moment my initials are D.A.L and when I get married they will be changed to D.A.M
So I guess I'll be damed from the start