Last-Minute Gift Idea Exchange

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce, that electronic lab kit is fantastic! I want one for ME!
Either now or for his birthday in March, that kit is gonna be happening! Thanks for the tip!

SW, there's some very cool stuff on that site, too... everything I look at gives me ideas! And one of the things they mention there is "The Dangerous Book For Boys," which I've already got for him. I spent a little time with it myself, and it's just such fun...wonderfully eclectic, full of the kind of quirky details that intrigued me as a kid. I think Grant will love it, and I think his grandpa will too.

Nikki, when I was 13, I loved adventure books (not silly teen romances, but travel and intrigue)... and also kits that allowed me to make something. I remember a really cool acrylic molding kit -- I mixed up some clear acrylic, put a pearly white seashell into a mold, poured the acrylic in to cover it... and then mixed some black acrylic to pour on top, to make a background for the shell. I still have that paperweight somewhere!

There are some very cool kits at Barnes & Noble for making origami and kirigami... and you could also give her a book on making macrame jewelry, with some pretty colored cord and beads.

And at Kohl's, they have some boxed pendant sets that have gorgeous interchangeable stones in different colors! If I were a 13-year-old, that would dazzle me!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

They have new electronic Rubik's cubes out also.
My mom is searching for one of them for my little cousin, I didn't know they had such a thing!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blondrebel76

what the heck is webkins?? my sister has ordered like 60 of those things on ebay lately
A Webkinz is like a furry beanie baby. But every one has a special code linked to that particular animal. When you get the animal, you online and put in the code and it knows what animal it is. You can name it, and it's like an online game. You can buy things for it, and build it a house. All online and all pretend though.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great ideas everyone!!! Thankyou for all the suggestions!!!
Hehe last night i wound up getting my niece (The 13 yr old) a cool pillow- it's all soft and squishy and it has a spot on it where she can plug in her MP3 player (her parents are getting her one for Christmas so i thought it'd go along well!) so she can lay down and listen to her music without using the ear buds all the time
We also found some more arts/crafts stuff the other night as well so we got her some more stuff t odraw with

I LOVE the idea of some of those other kits that were suggested- i will definitely look into getting some after Christmas when the sales are good so i can give those for the next b-day or holiday!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Great ideas everyone!!! Thankyou for all the suggestions!!!
Hehe last night i wound up getting my niece (The 13 yr old) a cool pillow- it's all soft and squishy and it has a spot on it where she can plug in her MP3 player (her parents are getting her one for Christmas so i thought it'd go along well!) so she can lay down and listen to her music without using the ear buds all the time
We also found some more arts/crafts stuff the other night as well so we got her some more stuff t odraw with

I LOVE the idea of some of those other kits that were suggested- i will definitely look into getting some after Christmas when the sales are good so i can give those for the next b-day or holiday!
I have one of those and I LOVE it!

I agree! get a kit where they can be creative and make something of their own. They'll love being able to show it off!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went out last night and found a nice big binder with six wire-bound books on drawing collected together -- and they're really good books, great simple technique, written with a sense of humor. They have lots of examples and instructions on how to draw cars, animals, insects... all the things kids like.

Today, I'm going to get a drawing pad, some pencils, a kneaded eraser, and a whatchamacallit grey-rolled-paper thing you use to smudge the pencils with. Grant will love this!

And the best thing about it -- it's not trendy, it doesn't take batteries, and it will actually help him develop a skill! Woohoo!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We went out last night and found a nice big binder with six wire-bound books on drawing collected together -- and they're really good books, great simple technique, written with a sense of humor. They have lots of examples and instructions on how to draw cars, animals, insects... all the things kids like.

Today, I'm going to get a drawing pad, some pencils, a kneaded eraser, and a whatchamacallit grey-rolled-paper thing you use to smudge the pencils with. Grant will love this!

And the best thing about it -- it's not trendy, it doesn't take batteries, and it will actually help him develop a skill! Woohoo!
I'm always amazed that kids love to create things so much. I gave my 10 year old neice an embroidery kit for her birthday and she didn't put it down for DAYS!