Laser pointers- Good or Bad???

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be really careful with laser pointers. My brother had one on his keychain and would play with my dog with it, and Juno would go crazy. He'd claw the floor, the walls and bark like mad if my brother shone it on the ceiling. It was quite humourous. But.. Juno got obsessed with it, and started barking whenever he'd see anything shine. If we'd open a cd case, and a reflection would come off the cd onto the wall, he'd bark his head off. He learned that the keys jingling meant the toy, and he'd go stock still staring at the ground for the light to show up. Our vet advised us to never do it again, so we haven't for 5 years, and he still stares at the floor when he hears keys jingling.

My aunt had a border collie who developed an obsession with light. She got so bad that she'd follow people, biting at their feet as she saw the light and shadow from each footfall. She'd chase shadows on the walls, and eventually she had to be surrendered to a border collie rescue for neurotic evaluation.

I myself won't get one to be a toy. I throw things for Sohni. He especially likes plastic bottle tops thrown on the laminate floor. He pust his claws out and goes floor surfing.