Laser Lights - Two Concerns

kittylea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to feel bad when i first started using a laser but after awhile it seemed that the cats understood where it was comeing from and how it worked. If i put the laser it self on the floor with sakura, she will paw at it until the keychain on it rattle then looks round the room for the dot.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had the chance or the time to visit TCS for quite a while, but I was just about to start a thread called "The Red Dot." !!!

A lot of people get concerned about the kitties not being able to "catch" something at the end, and MA's idea is great! I can see it working for a one- or two-cat family - how she gets it to work with multiple cats, I can't guess, lol! We've got six and they are ALL into it. They go nuts bumping into each other and running around like crazy cats. We have to make it stop and start it somewhere else just so they all get a chance to chase it.

I used to feel bad about about them having nothing to catch - but we did the rug thing. They all love "digging," so we'd always make it "hide" under a throw rug they can all try to rip or dig at/under.

Gary and I used to live in an RV, so there wasn't a lot of room - but we moved into a house last year, and this summer we watched as flies or moths got into the house - and they'd go crazy chasing after them. And they NEVER catch them, and the bug just disappears eventually. So after that I didn't feel bad about there being nothing to catch. And it is a GREAT form of exercise for them.

Of course we do play with wand-type toys frequently, so they do get plenty of play with a "reward" and something tangible. But to watch them leaping and digging and bumping into things like mad is so much fun - because they're having so much fun!

karilyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is how you end the session.

When your cat seems like he/she is breathing hard or out of breath and you want to end the session, let them chase the laser light as you bring the light from across the room and toward your feet. Let them pounce on it and catch it, then turn it off permanently. Reach down and praise your cat for a great catch. That's it, then walk away.

I hope this helps.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, @Karilyn and welcome to TCS!

This is a good answer, but the thread is 8 years old so I doubt it will be seen by those taking part.

Would you like to come and introduce yourself here?