Laser Claw Removal?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my quick take on laser surgery for declawing: if we were instead discussing amputating a person's head and debating using an axe versus a "laser" (presumably a very powerful one), i suspect we wouldn't be having much of a debate. High tech or low tech amputation is still amputation.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephenq

Here's my quick take on laser surgery for declawing: if we were instead discussing amputating a person's head and debating using an axe versus a "laser" (presumably a very powerful one), i suspect we wouldn't be having much of a debate. High tech or low tech amputation is still amputation.
I like that.

Now, here's what I want to know...does the laser automatically cauterize the wound, therefore making the process a little less messy at least?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From this brochure: http://straypetadvocacy.org/html/dec...ernatives.html

Is Laser Surgery Better Than A Traditional Declaw?

There are definite advantages to laser surgery. Use of a laser causes less bleeding and swelling, reducing pain and complications immediately following the surgery. The rate of long term complications is the same. It is essentially the same procedure, just with different equipment.
I can't comment on the use of lasers in declaw from personal experience, but I can for spaying. We opted to spend the extra $$ to have them use the laser for Ophelia's spay. Basically, since it does cauterize the wound as the incision/cut is being made, using a laser significantly decreases bleeding and chance for infection. However, the long term effects are exactly the same. It is the same surgery, just with a different instrument.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What exactly is the cost difference? I would be concerned about a vet offering it as a money making procedure.

I actually had a human doctor who told me that a procedure I needed should be done with a laser (safer, less pain, blah blah blah). But to do it, they were going to have to put me under general anesthesia. Oh, and it would cost > $3000.

I got a second opinion. Second doctor said "Oh, that? We can remove that in 10 minutes. Local anesthesia and a cauterizing iron." Total cost was like $200, and I walked out in 10 minutes with no pain.

Point being, there are even human doctors who are willing to risk a patient's life for money. I would be suspicious about motives.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I have two friends with declawed cats and their cat's behaviors are less desirable than i would want. one hides continually, even from his owners. and the other hisses and bites.

Stretching with claws and climbing are two important tension releasers for cats and when you take those outlets away you leave open the possibility for other behavior problems. My kitten has been getting her claws trimmed weekly and she has destroyed nothing other than card board boxes and tissue paper.

Whats the big deal with letting a cat be a cat? If you dont want what they come with naturally, maybe one shouldn't own a cat. would you take out their voice box if they made too much noise? or remove limbs if they climbed too much? am i taking this example to the point of absurdity?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I have two friends with declawed cats and their cat's behaviors are less desirable than i would want. one hides continually, even from his owners. and the other hisses and bites.

Stretching with claws and climbing are two important tension releasers for cats and when you take those outlets away you leave open the possibility for other behavior problems. My kitten has been getting her claws trimmed weekly and she has destroyed nothing other than card board boxes and tissue paper.

Whats the big deal with letting a cat be a cat? If you dont want what they come with naturally, maybe one shouldn't own a cat. would you take out their voice box if they made too much noise? or remove limbs if they climbed too much? am i taking this example to the point of absurdity?
Yes, but we all understand and are with you!.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Laser surgery is more expensive in part because the vets have to offset the cost of the equipment. More importantly, a vet who isn't experienceed in laser surgery can botch the procedure....buyer beware.

nutmeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet didn't charge more, but perhpas it's because he's performed many laser surgeries so the equipment had already paid for itself.