Large Lump On Neck

Julia7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am watching over my grandma's cat, and my grandma doesn't take her to the vet. Her cat seems to have developed a large lump on her neck. It isn't red or irritated, and it doesn't hurt her when we touch it, but I believe it is causing her to breathe oddly. She is also in the late stages of pregnancy and I thought she may just be breathing heavily because she was in the early stages of labour. She recently started nesting, so the timing wouldn't be off for her to be having pre-labour contractions. The odd breathing isn't constant either. She's just breathing heavily for a few minutes, about 10-20 minutes apart. She has also been sneezing a lot and has runny poop, if that could help. Any idea on what it could be?

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take the cat to the vet? She is in bad shape, and will not be able to effectively care for kittens. The kittens may also get sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julia7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you take the cat to the vet? She is in bad shape, and will not be able to effectively care for kittens. The kittens may also get sick.
I can ask my grandma about it. I am unsure of how far my care for her goes, or her reasoning for not taking her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're taking care of her, and she is suffering. It doesn't matter why your grandmother doesn't take her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julia7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're taking care of her, and she is suffering. It doesn't matter why your grandmother doesn't take her.
I don't want to sound rude when I say this, so please don't take it wrong way. I can't take my grandma's cat to the vet without telling her first. It's not my place to decide what's best for her, especially when it could cost hundreds of dollars. Also, I don't know where you live, but where I am it's 11:00 pm and the vet isn't open any way. I have contacted my grandmother and I do want to consult with the vet, but again it's not for me to decide. As for the suffering, I can assure you this is a happy cat. She is purring and cuddling and in no pain. Her babies are very much alive and moving around a lot. I only want any ideas on what could be causing this lump, and don't need someone to criticize me just because I have boundaries.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat is having trouble breathing and is sneezing a lot, that is very likely a URI and something the kittens will catch. Runny poop could be from late pregnancy, or it could be a parasite and something the kittens will catch. The lump could be a tumor.

Cats are excellent at hiding their pain. Putting can be a comfort if they are in a lot of pain.

In my opinion, boundaries shouldn't matter when there is something like this going on. If you're responsible for the cat, you should take action tomorrow when vets are open. You can tell your grandmother that this is the best option.

This cat is not well and your grandmother is not caring for it. You have an opportunity to help a creature in need, and you are obviously concerned if you posted here for help.