Lap cat or not

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever had a cat that never ever became a lap cat...of if they did, did it take a long time?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Looby Loo never has been nor will ever become a lap cat. She hid under our bed for many days when I adopted her & has come a long way since, which is all I can hope for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your baby. Mine just turned two, and seems nervous about it, but extremely affectionate

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link is 2.5 years old. He has never really been a lap cat. When he was younger he would crawl around and fall asleep on me but that stopped around 9 months old. Since then he is very demanding, loves to be around people, and follows us but he doesn't jump on laps really. Sometimes he jumps up and stares at you because you are being a stupid human and ignoring him but he doesn't lay down or settle down on laps. He does like to be right up against people at night and will lay across my legs when I try to get out of bed; but I think that's more warmth sharing. 

Rocket and Fury on the other hand love laps. I've had Rocket climb up on me when I am sitting curled up sideways in the recliner reading and just drape herself across in the oddest ways just to be on top of me. 

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
May not be a lap but still is on you in other ways, thats wonderful

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your baby. Mine just turned two, and seems nervous about it, but extremely affectionate
Let me think: I got her July 2015 at 3 months so she's about 16 months old. She was born outside & I fostered her from our local shelter. I put her in a safe room on her first day here & literally could not find her for 2 hours. She had wedged herself tightly under the false bottom of a bookcase. She is super-loving now with me. Her fave thing is her daily "brushie".

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear. Always nice to hear that babies are doing well

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My previous cat was never a lap cat. Neither of my current cats are lap cats either. My Aby will occasionally sit next to me with his front legs draped over my leg. Some cats are just not into laps.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 cats and they rarely sit in my lap.  They will hang out in the room with me and most of them sleep on the bed with us.  Casey my youngest is the closest to being a lap cat.  If I am laying down on the couch he will come and knead on me. He purrs his little head off and drools on me while he is kneading.  Sometimes he will take a nap on me but that is only when I am laying down.  Sonny comes and lays down on me to give me kisses at bed time.  After the kisses he goes and sleeps on the bottom of my bed near my feet.  Apollo will sleep on my hubby and will sometimes cuddle with me when I am laying on the couch.  Starbuck sleeps on our pillows at night.  All my cats are affectionate in their own ways but they are not lap cats.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To our distress Sukie is not a lap cat, every one of the many cats that we have had over the years were lap cats.  Sukie does everything besides sitting on our laps, she will sit beside me on the sofa, will sleep with us, mainly on, not with, and will rub against us, particularly at food times! 

When I try to sit her on my lap she will struggle and try to get off.  She is 1 year and eleven months old now, I am still in hopes that she will sit on my lap, but I am in doubt.  View media item 385582
View media item 385413

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rainbow cat was never a lap cat until her old age. She became a lap cat once she was around 15 and only ever sat in my now husbands lap.

One of my three current cats is not a lap cat. He loves being petted, is very affectionate, but will not sit on anyone's lap for much of any time at all. The best way to get him sitting on a lap is to put a blanket over it. He'll go under the blanket and lay there.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
A previous cat would never sit on laps. She would sit beside me, lay beside me purring up a storm and absolutely loved to be scratched, would sleep beside me. But not laps, even after 12 years. As above some just aren't! But still are very loving.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 2 girls, Zazzie and Kiwi don't care for sitting on laps, or being petted (unless THEY want to be petted) or being held.

But Tesla (my boy) LOVES being petted and held. Sometimes I carry him around the house for 15-20 minutes, he doesn't struggle or try to get away 95% of the time. Sometimes I just have to put him down because my arms hurt, he is a big kitty (17 lbs).

And he also snuggles with me at night. He can be a lap cat sometimes too, but only for short periods of time (like 15-20 minutes and them he jumps down).

coasterdon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first two cats were lap caps so when I got Oliver 2 weeks ago I was hoping he would be too.  It took about 11 days and then suddenly when I got home and sat in the recliner he jumped up and went to sleep in my lap.  Last night he was there laying on me and watching tv all night.  I felt so guilty every time I had to get up.  His diabolical  takeover of the house is complete.

Don (and Oliver)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pickle (female)is not a lap cat nor never will be. Kiwi (female) is a lap cat when she wants to be but Buzz (male) loves to sit on my lap..

kittle-mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Magic didn't become a lap cat until later in life. He liked to snuggle with me in bed, but wouldn't really sit on my lap until he was around 10. (He died at 15). 

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK, who's 18 this month, has always been a lap cat.  jeep, who we found at birth with a feral colony and had till he passed away was never a lap cat.  every cat, just like every human, has their own quirks, preferences and ways of being with family.  some will never be lap cats, others like it, and still others grow to like it.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was younger I moved into an apartment and promptly got a cat named Dante. He wasn't a lap cat, he was a demon from the pits of hell. A rescue who'd been shoved in wet cement with a bad eye and messed up lungs. He was just plain mean. He was so mean and vindictive that it was actually amusing. He routinely worked his way around the apartment destroying everything in his path and if ya got to close he'd try to hamstring ya.. I miss that damn cat to this day.