Languages. How good are we?

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
I am very proud of the fact that i speak fairly fluent french, and i am in 8th grade. I am in the midst of learning the cyrillic alphabet and russian in my free time
(i love languages,
)

How many ppl here speak extra languages, and which languages? I am curious.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with you! I love learning new languages! It is wonderful. I can speak fairly good spanish. I remember very little french though from when i took it in jr. high. But I also know some lithuanian, croation and portugese. I would love to be fluent in lots of languages, but right now I dont have the time to dedicate myself to fully learning it. So I am going bit by bit and I can carry on basic conversations in each of them, nothing to complicated.

I would love to re-learn french, and learn mandarin, italian, and greek also. I love learning about different cultures and learning their language. I hope to travel to all these places one day, and being able to speak fluently with them would be so cool!

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can speak, write, and read fluently in Russian and English. I can read and write in Greek, but I stink at oral

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm....I took 4 years of Latin and I remember a little. I loved Roman History more than learning vocabulary and grammar and what not. My teacher was one of my favorites and I was pres of our latin club
My stepfather's family is from Puerto Rico so they are all fluent. I never had a desire to learn it though. I know some sign language. While it's not a 'foreign' language in the same sence, it is a language with many dialects and there is a barrier for thoes who do not know it when communicating with someone who can't hear.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took French, remember just a wee bit, and Spanish. I am okay at understanding Spanish to a certain degree, b/c I have been around it a lot. I was taught how to read Hebrew and know the Hebrew alphabet, but don't know what the heck I'm reading unless I look at the translation in the prayer book!

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Je parle Francais.
Well, a little bit, at least. And I can muddle through a little bit of German and Spanish...oh, and a tiny bit of Italian and Latin.
The only language I had classes in was French...the rest I picked up from singing opera and classical art songs, and having to do English translations from the original language.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took French classes for 7 years..but I haven't spoken or written it in at least 10 years
so I don't remember much.

mrsfishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only speak English but am also fluent in American Sign Language. There was a deaf kid in my grade school when I was little and he couldn't communicate with any body so I started learning sign language from library books so I could talk to him a little bit. He taught me new words each day from that point on. By the time we were in high school, I could speak with all kinds of deaf people and they were always amazed to find out I wasn't deaf and had no deaf family members. I now volunteer in a charter school for deaf kids to keep my skills sharp.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had nine years of French in school, and was pretty good then -- but that's a looooooooooong time ago, and almost as long since it's had any significant exercise, so it's pretty rusty. I can sing umpteen languages and know some of the vocabulary, but couldn't for a moment claim to speak them.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I love linguistics and I have wanted it made mandatory in high school that seniors must graduate with proficiency in a second language - does wonders for world peace.

I also speak/read French, Spanish, some Chinese, Korean, Lakota Sioux.....amd my lifelong, never-ending mastery of...Cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can barely read and write and speak english ...lmao... I can read and understand a good amout of Spanish cant speak much , I can read and understand a bit of Russian... I understand and speak a fair amount of Yiddish lol not a great thing to know in elementry school.... I understand and speak a wee bit of German... There are more but me is off to bed

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finnish (first language)
English
Swedish
German
Japanese
Latin
Chinese

In that order.

mommalori

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I speak english... and only english.. oh and a few words in other languages which I'm not allowed to post.

altzarina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cool, lotta people know Russian here! I myself have studied Russian, So I can manage to speak decent Russian as well. Apart from that I know-

German
English
Hindi(my first language), gujarati,maratthi(regional indian languages)
Sanskrit
Urdu

I really am passionate about languages, but then I can't speak all these languages fluently as well...but I can convey my msg easily!
I tried learning Hebrew once...but gave up on it!

julianne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
English is my first language
I am fluent in Afrikaans - which is very similar to Flemish | Dutch
I took German for 2 yrs, but can barely get though introductions!
A smatering of Hebrew

I am also fluent in about 6 computer languages

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice thread
I adore languages - I used to speak fluent German, but through years of not using it, I've forgotten pretty much all of it. At the moment I'm learning Danish in Studieskolen (but that does have a practical purpose because I'm having to use it more or less every day because I live in Copenhagen!) I't s fantastic fun!

felineorc

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am fluent in Australian English and have a smattering of the following ones
- German
- French
- Spanish
- Italian
- Dutch
- Japanese
and still trying to master the greatest language -Feline

Hoping to try learning Australian Sign Language next year.