Language differences

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my hubby=husband is a new zealander and I am australian. Allan says togs, i say bathers, for swimming. he says jandles, i say thonges for sandles. he says jersey, i say jumper for sweater. he says hoover the carpet i say vacuum the carpet. I sure that thier is more but i cant think of any.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

What part of Florida are you from? This is so confusing to me since I was born here in Florida and have lived here for 22 years and literally NEVER heard anyone say "buggy" before!!! I'm thinking it must just be certain areas of Florida or something? Actually the only people I've ever heard say buggy instead of cart is my family from western NY.
I grew up in Jacksonville.....definitely not a retirement destination.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just made me think of few US terms that have never made sense to me:

Parkway = highway/motorway - road usually with multiple lanes that cars travel to get from one place to another.

Driveway = little road/pavement usually from street to private residance. It is where you park.

david p

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has visited Pittsburgh latey, but I think we even use different words than the rest of the U.S.A. When we "read up" a room we mean clean it! We go "Dahntahn" instead of Downtown, we "worsh" a load of clothes, "Yinz" is the Pittsburgh equivelent of "y'all", if there is ice on the road we say it's "slippy", a "gumban" is a rubber band, and here we call soda, "pop", and a telephone pole is a "tele pole"!