Landlord making me pay higher rent for cats...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nonrefundable fees and monthly additions to rent are very common when renting. When DH and I were looking for a place to live after we got married, a bit issue was their pet policy (DH was so sweet about it too). The policies at several really nice places made us look elsewhere.

Also, always get agreements in writing. I had to ask our previous manager to add an addendum to my rental agreement stating that the policy of having cats declawed was waived because I had sufficient scratching areas. lol I marched down to the office, pale and scared, and just flat out said I was against declawing and that we needed to talk. lol

They were really great about it though.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When i lived in an apartment, I had to pay the 150.00 deposit for each pet and each month they would tack on "pet rent" to my regular monthly rent...pet rent was 25.00. I dont know if thats per pet b/c i only had one cat at the time. I'm glad that you got the issue resolved!!! YIPPE

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah - that the OP got her resolution!

Just adding into the mix: Very common where I live when I called around. The norm was $150 non-refundable pet deposit + $30 a mn extra rent per pet.

Good point on kids not requiring extra deposit and rent but cats do ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

The people down the hall with the screaming kids who can't seem to leave the apartment without making some sort of scene didn't have to pay an extra cent to have those little terrors here (it's illegal).
Same situation here! In my building, there are a group of little kids who play together everyday. I'm sorry, but they are the most annoying little bunch of miscreants. They would mess around the elevator by pushing all the buttons and chase each other down the stairs, etc. One time my bf and I were waiting downstairs for the elevator to come down. We were waiting forever until we finally realized that those darn kids were playing around with it and we had to take the stairs.

My cats are just quiet little things who sleep all day and they tried to charge me over $500??? Hell no.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nonrefundable fees are fine, IMO, for costs one can reasonably expect to incur. I would expect to fork over a flat fee for move-out expenses (cleaning, etc.), but I just resent the idea of a "deposit" that is nonrefundable, but supposed to cover damages that may or may not occur. I'd gladly pay twice that deposit if it were refundable based on the damages that actually occured. It just strikes me as an unscrupulous way of getting money out of responsible pet owners who will declare their pets, pay the fee, and by virtue of being responsible pet owners, have pets that are more likely to be well cared for/trained and less likely to damage anything.

I'm just of the opinion that deposits should be collected to cover the costs of possible damages. If you want people to pay a lot more to keep pets on the property, increase the pet rent, so they're paying for the time they actually have the pets. In the unlikely event that both my cats died tomorrow, I'm out $600 for less than one month's occupancy by the cats. I'm not saying they aren't within their rights to do it, but I don't agree with it. Luckily (for them), I live in a very expensive area, they have tons of closet space, gas stoves, and they do at least accept pets. I weighed my options and chose the lesser of two evils. It still doesn't make the practice "right".

This is not to say that I hate my apartment or have some sort of combative relationship with the leasing office. It just grates on my nerves when I sit down to think about it or read this thread.