Lamp Tipping: How to stop it?

kittykisser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I'll consider that. So far the putty is working good, and I think she may be giving up a bit because she can't move them now. It's not really very obvious so we may just stick with that.
Sorry to resurrect this relic, but I am desperate. How did the putty end up working? We have felt bottomed lamps, so the museum wax we got is pretty sticky and would pull the felt off.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They have compressed air cans that are motion activated Sscat cat or something like that. The unknown is whether your movements in bed would set the thing off.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you be tempted into using a heavier based lamp? My cat rubs against my banker’s lamp sometimes w/ no tipping. But, that is, I realize, a compromise.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to resurrect this relic, but I am desperate. How did the putty end up working? We have felt bottomed lamps, so the museum wax we got is pretty sticky and would pull the felt off.
Play with your cat more and give it more vertical spaces. Put up shelving the cat’s allowed to be on and/or add a cat condo.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An option is starving the habit -- i.e. move the lamps somewhere inaccessible for 2-3 weeks and see if the cat still does it when you bring them back. I've used this approach successfully for other matters, but never had much of a problem with deliberate tipping. Two rambunctuous young cats taking their battles everywhere, I've sometimes moved lamps or even put lighter ones away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tbh, the felt can easily be replaced. If the putty works to hold down the lamp, just make sure you have plenty of felt on hand to replace it. Or, given most felt pieces are either stapled gunned to the bottom of lamps or glued on to them, you could even replace the felt with a piece of cardboard which would hold up better/longer than the felt.

You could also always try using cut up pieces of clear plastic bathmats - with the nubby side up to set around the lamp - most, but not all, cats don't like to step on the 'nubs'.

What do you think the attraction is? That might have a bearing on potential solutions.