Lameness In Cat

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've been looking after a stray cat who's been with me for over a year and still haven't managed to find her owners. So it's safe to say we know her habits very well and her general behaviour. She comes back to us every night, but will go out regularly. Since yesterday she hasn't been wanting to even go outside and seems very lame and uninterested. She ate last night and this morning, has been to the toilet okay today and has also been checked at the vets this evening. She's hiding away and seems to be in discomfort, but upon consultation the vet said there doesmt seem to be anything wrong with her. She checked her temperature, heart rate and everything in a basic consultation, but she seems fine and alert (according to the vet). The only thing off about this is that she's in some form of discomfort and we don't know what it is. Her tail is more hidden or curled up, but she's still walking around and managing to jump off furniture . However, she would rather sit or lay down. Any recommendations? We gave her her own bed and room so she feels comfortable, but no idea what could be up. Please help?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to explore deeper and see if her kidney levels are where they should be. Does the vet have any idea of how old she might be?

Do you have any idea what area in her body might be causing discomfort? Do her teeth seem to bother her? Could she have gotten into a cat and is sore as a result?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We thought she may have had a fight and that teeth could be an issue, but everything seems to be fine. I've even checked myself and it seems okay. As for her age though, they didn't mention it, but we are assuming she's over 7 years old as her black fur is turning a bit whitish recently, only a few places.
We have to wait until Monday until we can have her analysed fully, but in the meantime nothing. The area of concern seems to be her bottom/tail. Whenever I go to pet her there she gets angry. My father thinks she's might have been slightly knocked by a car or something and it bruised her, but no indication of anything serious.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You and your dad are doing a good job of monitoring your cat. The anger at being touched in the tail area is the clue and the vet should be informed about that. Curled up and hidden tail is part of this. I wonder that the vet did not notice all of this the first time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is a bit unsettling that you can tell she is in discomfort and yet the vet doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. The vet didn't seemed concerned about her bottom/tail area bothering her? I would have thought, if possible, they would have done a couple of x-rays to see if something is going on - as in an injury that is not outwardly visible?

If nothing else, you would think that the vet could have prescribed some low dose of pain meds to get her through the weekend until you can have more thorough testing done.

I hope you have bloodwork done (including Chemistry Profile) to see if anything looks amiss. If you plan on keeping her, this would be a good baseline to use for comparison purposes down the road.

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You and your dad are doing a good job of monitoring your cat. The anger at being touched in the tail area is the clue and the vet should be informed about that. Curled up and hidden tail is part of this. I wonder that the vet did not notice all of this the first time.
Me too, it was surprising, but nothing alarmed her so I guess we just have to wait and watch until the vet is open.

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. That is a bit unsettling that you can tell she is in discomfort and yet the vet doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. The vet didn't seemed concerned about her bottom/tail area bothering her? I would have thought, if possible, they would have done a couple of x-rays to see if something is going on - as in an injury that is not outwardly visible?

If nothing else, you would think that the vet could have prescribed some low dose of pain meds to get her through the weekend until you can have more thorough testing done.

I hope you have bloodwork done (including Chemistry Profile) to see if anything looks amiss. If you plan on keeping her, this would be a good baseline to use for comparison purposes down the road.
[/Quote

I made sure to ask after she finished analysing her of there is any indication of possible injury or even poisoning, but she ensured me no and just to keep an eye on her. It really is upsetting to watch her be in discomfort, but knowing she's still able to eat and move is assuring for now.
I'll definitely want more work done, especially a blood test to make sure nothing is put of the ordinary. I just put my cat down this year because they thought she had the flu, but it turns out she was actually dying from liver failure. No previous indication either.

Ksblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For anyone wondering, here's an update.
We took her back to the vets as she was curled up, didn't want to move or eat. To us, she was in some obvious pain/discomfort to say the least. They took her in and scanned her for a chip again (since she isn't technically ours) and found one, but the owners deny any knowledge. So she had to be taken in as a stray cat. I've rang them 3 times since and the vet told me that there is NOTHING wrong with her. They did a full check and there is literally nothing wrong. I wanted more answers of course and the vet said since she's eating and is fine, it is definitely behavioural/emotional, but I cannot think what could have happened. Blood tests were not taken as there was nothing wrong upon the check up. She's doing fine and is still at the vets, but unfortunately since she's been taken in as a stray, she's going to be picked up by a animal rehoming charity. I've grown so close to her and really wouldn't want to lose her, plus she's unlikely to be adopted as she's older and black. I've been told I can contact the charity and hope that they will let me adopt her if I explain the situation. Thanks for anyone who commented!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone wondering, here's an update.
We took her back to the vets as she was curled up, didn't want to move or eat. To us, she was in some obvious pain/discomfort to say the least. They took her in and scanned her for a chip again (since she isn't technically ours) and found one, but the owners deny any knowledge. So she had to be taken in as a stray cat. I've rang them 3 times since and the vet told me that there is NOTHING wrong with her. They did a full check and there is literally nothing wrong. I wanted more answers of course and the vet said since she's eating and is fine, it is definitely behavioural/emotional, but I cannot think what could have happened. Blood tests were not taken as there was nothing wrong upon the check up. She's doing fine and is still at the vets, but unfortunately since she's been taken in as a stray, she's going to be picked up by a animal rehoming charity. I've grown so close to her and really wouldn't want to lose her, plus she's unlikely to be adopted as she's older and black. I've been told I can contact the charity and hope that they will let me adopt her if I explain the situation. Thanks for anyone who commented!

Okay, the chip ought to have the registry number of the vet or animal shelter who inserted it and they are the ones who are responsible in taking her back.

I am kind of surprised that your vet didn't immediately adopt her out to you, she isn't a stray, she has an owner who simple doesn't want her anymore.

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! For some reason I cannot log into my account as it won't recognise my email. I've had to create a new account after 30 minutes of trying.
So I have an update. I met up with one of the vets who was treating her at the clinic when I was picking up my cage and it turns out there was something wrong. I was sure it couldn't have been nothing, but it turns out her temperature really spiked a couple days ago and she wasn't eating anything. They put her on IV and have her anti-inflammatory and pain relief along with antibiotics (I think) after a blood test. They did a basic panel and that was fine, but the blood smear results showed that she has a high amount of white blood cells and toxicity which I was told indicated an inflammation and/or infection. Today I was told she's doing much better and blood results are now normal.

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, the chip ought to have the registry number of the vet or animal shelter who inserted it and they are the ones who are responsible in taking her back.

I am kind of surprised that your vet didn't immediately adopt her out to you, she isn't a stray, she has an owner who simple doesn't want her anymore.
Sorry it is still me, just made a new account (locked out). I was told she is going to be transferred to an animal/cat charity, but I cannot take her from the vets. I would have to claim her an her owner, basically saying this is my cat and I've lost it and that stuff, which they know not to be true. So I have to contact the charity when she's being processed in order to try and adopt her. I'm hoping they will let me as wouldn't want her there all alone.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What an ordeal for both of you. I cannot imagine that a charity would not let you adopt a cat who obviously needs care, possibly care they cannot provide.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it is still me, just made a new account (locked out). I was told she is going to be transferred to an animal/cat charity, but I cannot take her from the vets. I would have to claim her an her owner, basically saying this is my cat and I've lost it and that stuff, which they know not to be true. So I have to contact the charity when she's being processed in order to try and adopt her. I'm hoping they will let me as wouldn't want her there all alone.

Thanks for replying back, yeah I just noticed that the whole site looks different.

I have never heard of such a thing- that cat wouldn't be alive if not for you. This is the situation where common sense took a holiday.

Ksbluee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, they were more than happy to let me adopt her, but I was too late. I called the vets everyday to make sure I knew when she was transferred and eventually, they told me they would contact me. I waited a day and she was transferred (they did not let me know) and they also didn't know where. A kind lady gave me possible charities she could have gone to and I found her, but she was go me within the same day. I was upset to lose her, but the woman at the charity kept me updated on her progress and promised to contact me in case the adoption fell through. It hasn't and the couple who adopted her are amazing, and the kitty is more than happy.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for letting us know. So sorry you didn't get to keep her, but I am thrilled that you were able to know who she is with and that she is being taken well care of. If not with you, the second best thing!!