Lady Harriet, "Too Cute", missing kittens?

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all…my boyfriend and I have had this debate and I wanted some input. 

Lady Harriet (LH) was a rescue from the streets (by an adoption agency).  She had a litter when they found her, and would take other kittens under her care as well.  Eventually the kittens got adopted out and I adopted her, and all was well.  

I was watching "Too Cute: Kittens" the other day and she sat on my lap and watched with great interest (usually she ignores the TV).  She perked up every time the kittens made noises.  Another time, I was watching a youtube video with kittens mewling and she ran over to the screen and started doing her silent meow.  Often she will start making chirping noises and look around like she is waiting for someone to respond (this most often happens after she has caught the feather on a stick and dragged it away to a corner or her feeding area).  

My boyfriend says she is missing her kittens/remembering her kittens.  I say that cats are programmed not to "miss" their kittens once the kittens are properly weaned (which I am sure they were at the adoption agency).  I don't think she is "missing" her kittens, but that she just has a biological response to kitten like sounds.  

My mother's brilliant input via text is as follows: "No.  They are more realistic than humans and once the kitties are independent mom is done and then just has more.  I tell Mike (my older brother) that all the time--that I can take him out and just get another one that is a cute little baby."  

Let me know your thoughts!

-Lindsay

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My ladies react the same way to the sounds of kittens, too. It is an instinctual thing that all female cats share. Sugar and Spice were fixed at 3 months or so and react the same as Silly, who has had kittens. When I play one of the kitten videos, I am mobbed by the ladies looking for the babies.