* Ladies only Please* Rant

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time I got fitted I was wearing a 34B, I thought it was a bit snug, but I was totally shocked to find out that I wear a 34D!! Two whole cup sizes!! Getting the right fit was so great. I'm no longer ready to tear off my bra as soon as I get home. I've also found that the fittings at Victoria's Secret are the most accurate and that their bras are the most comfortable and durable. They last much longer than any other bra I've ever bought. I don't know what I'd do without my Body by Victoria Ipex!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hate bras on the best of days, so when I do wear them they have to fit!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've never been 'professionally' fitted, but i've followed the steps & measured myself. i usually think mine fit well. i followed the directions here, & came up with a 44DDD/F. since i'm still fairly overweight, my band size is large & i can buy bras at the 'fat lady' stores! however, i have found that different brands fit differently. Goddess usually fit really well, while Vanity Fair are always too small for me. i'm talking 2 bras of the same size, as far as labels go.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

That's usually what I do also. It's so much easier than being fondled by someone with a tape measure.
Though now that I've had the baby and I'm breastfeeding I'm all out of wack.
Actually, if they do bring out a tape measure, it'll be to measure under the boobs, to get a more accurate number size. And, no they don't 'fondle' you. they hold/adjust the straps and clasp the band, but if they're doing their job, they won't touch the boobs... straps, the back... yes, but they let YOU do the shifting of 'the girls' in the cups. In neither fitting I've had did the woman doing the fitting touch me there... they let me adjust for comfort.

It's really the best thing to get fitted. You [meaning women in general who don't get a fitting] really have no idea what your proper size is. As for the 'in-between' sizes... it probably has nothing to do with the cup, it's about the band. the band should stay low and not ride up. Mine always did when I was wearing a 36 band. the cup sizes change as the band size increases... a 34D cup is not the same cup as a 38D. So, if you think you're a 36A, you're probably a 34B... I think it works that way... down a bandsize and up a cupsize... Also, if I remember right, the Oprah episode addressed the 'in-between' issue. Ang after having kids, alwasy get refitted...

Somethign may be 'comfortable' at first... but bras do wear out, and it may not be the most flattering size for your body. I had thought for a long time that I was a 36DD... nope. and then some whack-job chick at VS told me that my 'sister-size' was up one band and down a cup.... which made it a 38D. The band on that thing was up to my :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:' armpits... I hesitated and fortunately didn't buy it. Then I got fitted at Intimacy and voila! I'm not a 36 or a 38... I'm a 34... yes, it's a larger cup size, but it fits me... holds everythign in where it's supposed to be. This is my proper size. Yeah, it'll be a pain to find bras... but I'd rather it be that way than wearing ones that don't hold 'the girls' where they should be.

(another two cents thrown into the pot)
Amanda

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was measured many many years ago and in like 5th grade I was a 36C
I was the same size for many years and then when I started gaining weight, I just started going up a band size and then cup size... I wear a 40D currently and love Bali bras! they have the new no-poke underwires that come in pretty spring colors (blue, pink, lavender) and I know that they fit me and flatter me cause my guy friend Chris tells me so

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never been professionally fitted. I have worn the same size for about 8 or 9 years now. I read a magazine article that said a large percentage of women wear the incorrect bra size. After seeing so many of you here finding out yours was wrong, I think it might be a good idea for me to have mine checked professionally as well just in case. My bras fit very comfortably though. I think I will wait until the next Victoria Secret Semi-Annual Sale to have it done. Do you just ask the sales girl to measure???

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I have never been professionally fitted. I have worn the same size for about 8 or 9 years now. I read a magazine article that said a large percentage of women wear the incorrect bra size. After seeing so many of you here finding out yours was wrong, I think it might be a good idea for me to have mine checked professionally as well just in case. My bras fit very comfortably though. I think I will wait until the next Victoria Secret Semi-Annual Sale to have it done. Do you just ask the sales girl to measure???
if you look in my post above, i posted a link that tells you how to measure yourself, if that's easier for you.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work at a lingerie store, so I know how to fit a bra. I've been fitted, and I've fitted a number of people.

The thing to keep in mind, though, is that every single bra fits differently. The measurements are a good place to start, but you need to try every bra on to see if it really fits. You may need a 34D in one bra, a 34C in another, and a 36D in yet another. It can be really frustrating...there's no consistency whatsoever.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i understand your pain...for a long time i thought i was done "growing" in that department but a few months ago my breasts just took off..it was really weird...i went from a 34B to a 36D in a years time...it sucked too because i couldn't wear any of my tops or my bras...i'm still trying to find stuff that accomidates me...i prefered it much more when i was a B cup...it's impossible to find a good D cup now that doesn't have underwire in it....i hate underwire...it cuts me up. but....along the way i did pick up a neat trick..if you ladies find a bra you like but you can't find it in your size....go down a cup size and up a number....for instance...i wear a 36D....but if i can't find a bra in that size....a 38C fits too...neat huh, well i hope my little trick helps you girls the next time you need to go shopping....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have issues with underwire too!! when I was a 34D, it tickled me that they put padding in bras - like you need it when you are that size!!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have been fitted for a bra. In the past, I would buy anything on sale. Especially the cheapest no-name bras.

Recently, they had a bra sale for Playtex bras from Avon. I decided to buy one using what I usually buy, 42B. It was a perfect fit and was very comfortable. The other bras I would buy had really thin straps. This one has wide straps that are soft and wider sides. From now on, no more cheap bras for me. Someday I will go for a fitting after I lose the weight.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I have issues with underwire too!! when I was a 34D, it tickled me that they put padding in bras - like you need it when you are that size!!
I actually like the padding i feel naked with out it

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One brand I found that is good is Wacoal. Expensive but for us that need support I've been pleased. I also found Delta Burke bras at TJ Maxx that weren't too bad but some have seams in odd places!! Or one some bras the lace look funny!! After the Oprah show while I didn't get a fitting I did look for smaller band size with larger cup size bras.

drness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard about those half-size bras, and some new kind for ladies who have one side slightly bigger than the other (who doesn't?) and decided that I was going to pamper myself and get a real fitting for a really nice, expensive bra. So I went to Victoria's Secret and asked. The only people working there were super-skinny young girls, and I was about twice their size (you know, average!).

This girl did a rather clumsy job of measuring me... I think she only did one measurement. Maybe afraid to touch me, or something. She gave me this bra to try on that was WAY off. Maybe it was her size plus two inches, or something! She turned around to let me put it on, then wanted to see how it fit. I had it on, you know, it was covering everything, but I was still trying to stuff myself in there comfortably - I think I was hanging out the sides. She got this look on her face like, "eeewwww!", handed me a box of bras, and told me to try them all on myself.

I haven't gone for a fitting again.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
before i got fitted at Intimacy, I tried VS. What a load of crud. Those girls do not know how to do fittings. They wouldn't know proper fit if it smacked 'em in thte face. Sorry for anyone here who loves or has worked for VS, but they are not a good place to get fitted. Seriously, go to a shop that doesn't just hawk their own brand. Department stores [high end ones] *should* be able to do fittings... if you're larger, don't bother. go to a specialty shop...like Intimacy.

go down a cup size and up a number....for instance...i wear a 36D....but if i can't find a bra in that size....a 38C fits too...neat huh, well i hope my little trick helps you girls the next time you need to go shopping....
Oh yes... I've been told this as well... but let me tell you something: if the band on your normal size is loose or rides up [using the middle set of loops], it's too big. You need to go a band size DOWN, and cup size UP. If the band is too tight using the middle loops, then go a band size up. the band should not ride up your back. Always try on bras using the middle set of loops.

Amanda