Ladies, come in and help this young man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It was GailC.
She went to school for Nutrition.
Yes!!!!! Thank you!!!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DRIVEN

Do you guys realize this thread is 2 months old and I still haven't tried anything?

:
lol! What have you been living off?

I'm gonna try some of these out as soon as our kitchens refurbuished and we can all cook again.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, this week, go buy a book called "A Guy's Gotta Eat". http://www.aguysgottaeat.com/pages/wiseguys.html

I am certain that by the time you have that book for a week, you will be cooking. I'm a Mom of 4 and have been cooking average meals for years, and it really helped me. He gives you reasons to cook...like save money, get healthy, impress the girls...and then shows you all the steps. From buying things to storing them and cooking.

Whatever you cook will impress a girl, but be sure to clean up afterwards! That will make her fall in love!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

driven

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Well the way it is now, Tara cooks and I clean up after we eat.

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's one thing you can try.

My fiance' and I have a Super Target near us (means the sell groceries) and they carry Archer Farms prepared food. Essentially it's various cuts of meat that just need to be cooked. We like the asparagus chicken, salmon rolls, pollo asado (mexican style chicken) and a few others. It's probably not the absolute most healthy thing you could ever eat, but there's no prep time! You get home, stick it in the oven and 20-30 min. later you have food!

I would guess most grocery stores would have something similar.

I also recommend frozen veggies, they take only 5ish min. to make.

And fish. Fish cooks really quickly and is good for you!

If my fiance' knew I was posting cooking advice he would laugh at me! He's the cook in the family. All I can really do is make pancakes!

~Julia

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wont give you recipes ... but here a re some basic items that you can almost throw together in an combo and get some good and reasonably good for you....

eggs

hambuger ( i keep 4 lbs in one lb packages)

chn breasts or theighs

tofu

frozen veggies ( get any group ya like)

cheese

salsa ( in the summer I make my own it is very easy)

pasta ( preferabley whole grain)

rice ( I keep five kinds on hand )

diced tomatoes( yes I buy organic canned )

various spices

coooking items

crock pot( my mom is great with one me not so)

rice cooker ( makes rice veggies and eggs)

blender

toater oven / broiler( so you dont have to use the oven for just You )

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived with my ex in our own little house so i know how to cook, infact i still cook alot now since i moved back with my parents as i like different foods..

One thing you have to remember when youre cooking meat is to let the fryingpan GET HOT before you add oil! Leave it on the stove for 5 mins then add oil and then the meat, this way the oil wont fizzle everywhere. and the meat will cook quicker and turn out delicious!

Cook a few minutes each side, if its very thick meat (such as roast or 5 cm thick steaks) once its browned both sides put in the oven for a further 10 - 15 minutes! (if putting in oven please do not use plastic handles on frying pan)

Most people add a little water to the frying pan to cook their meat I DO NOT ADVISE THIS, as it ruins the taste.

Its really fun experiementing food.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey...I am trying to cook healthy too, so I am in the same boat. Here are my faves:

Tomato & Spinach Steamed Chicken
I let a pan heat with some light olive oil in the bottom, then pan cook a thawed chicken breast in it till it's completely done. I pour out most of the oil after it has cooked then place it back on the burner. Then I take a handful of baby spinach leaves (you can buy this in a single bunch in the produce section for a dollar), and about 6-8 or so little grape or cherry tomatoes, and pile them on top of the chicken breast. Put the heat on low, season it, and cover it to let the spinach steam and the little tomatoes get to where theyre nearly bursting. Put on a plate, add some lemon juice if you like, and Voila! A high fiber very low-cal meal. You can eat some whole grain brown rice with it if you need something else.

I also do the same thing with single serving pieces of salmon, cooked the very same way. Yum!

Lettuce Wraps
For an on the go yummy low carb thing, I eat lettuce wraps. I buy the big romaine lettuce leaves, sliced turkey from the deli (actual turkey, not lunch meat), and dijon mustard. You just put the turkey and mustard in the lettuce leaf, and roll it up. It's really good, and nearly calorie free, quick and easy. I eat maybe some baked lays with it, and I'm good to go! I have a friend who uses these lettuce leaves pretty much in place of bread completely. Her family eats taco stuff in them instead of shells or tortillas, and they'll put scrambled eggs and spinach in them too for breakfast or lunch sometimes.

Good Cookin!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to pm/email me please do so.
If you want to understand why things cook the way they do-Cook's Illustrated magazine. They take apart a recipe and try to make it better. I have soo many issues. Or if you don't want to buy cookbooks but don't want to web surf-go to local library and check out some cookbooks and magazines too!!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It has everything you could ever need and then some. My husband and I pull it out just to look at the pictures and charts. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s great. I also have downloaded about 150 cookbooks and recipes on line. PM me and I will zip file them for you (this goes for everyone). I have everything from Asian to Zimbabwe cookbooks, literally. A really easy recipe that will impress every one is my stuffed mushrooms. They take about 30 min start to finish. We invented the recipe after reading how to make them in the Better Homes and Garden book. I should say we improved the recipe.

Stuffed Mushrooms

1 pound fresh white mushrooms - destemed
1/2 the mushroom stems - minced
1/2 Medium onion - minced
3 green onions - minced
3-5 gloves of garlic - minced
1/2 pound cream cheese
bread crumbs
swiss cheese - sliced to fit the tops of mushrooms
Olive Oil - enough to coat the bottom of pan
white wine - about 1/4 cup

A DASH OF THE FOLLOWING
hot paprika
sweet paprika
white pepper
black pepper
lemon pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
kosher salt
lemon juice
worcestershire sauce

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot add the powder spices, cook for 1 Minute. Add onions and garlic, sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] till slightly soft, add the chopped mushroom stems, cook 1 minute. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and white wine. Let simmer, reduce liquid by half. Stir in enough breadcrumbs to soak up remaining liquid. Remove from heat, put into a bowl with cream cheese and mix until fully blended. Stuff the mushrooms with mixture and cover with swiss cheese. Cook in the oven at 425, 15- 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown.

When done, remove from the oven place on paper towel to drain excess liquid than transfer to a plate, serve with a nice white wine.

An amazing and easy side dish that will blow anyoneâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s mind and make you look really talented is pan-fried asparagus.

Pan Fried Asparagus

1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cloves garlic - minced
1 pound Asparagus - cut the bottom 1/2 off the stems

DASH OF THE FOLLOWING
sweet paprika
white pepper
lemon pepper

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Stir in olive oil, spices and garlic. Cook for 1 minute, no longer (DO NOT BROWN!). Add asparagus; cook for exactly 10 minutes, no longer, turning constantly to avoid burning. Remove from heat and place on plate. Pour the remaining liquid and brown garlic piece of as a sauce. Serve and enjoy.

Both of these recipes are supper easy and will make you look like a star.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the recipes, just send me an email address and I will get them to you in the next 24 hours. There are a ton so I will need to zip file them in order to send them.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 193 MB, 509 files in 10 folders worth. what do you want?

They are all either .pdf or .doc

Let me know and I will email them ALL to you.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, its a lot. It would require multiple emails just to get them to you. I have it all. I have all kinds. I found things like the secrete recipies from Mconalds. Vegitarian, vegan, meat, asian, italian, indian, african, candy, BBQ, curry, chinese, drinks, sauces, soups, casserols, crockpot, fish, game,etc, ect.......even 500 bread recipies.
you name it I probably have it.