Lacey's Aggressiveness

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our new Silkey, Lacey, has a bit of a problem. When around people she knows, she is a sweetheart, and loves to cuddle. There is only one problem. She HATES men. I've seen her on two occasions growl, bark, and basically go crazy when a man has entered the house. First incident was when my friend Joel came over and Lacey began growling and barking at him and all he'd done is walk through the door. We know it had to be on the basis that he was a guy because Lacey didn't bark at my friend Rose who came with him. The other occasion happened rather recently. My uncle came over and Lacey actually bit him and broke the skin. She doesn't do this to anyone else but men. We think she may have been abused by a man, since she has absolutely no aggression towards women. This morning, however, my grandmother says that Lacey attacked our Yorkie, Haley, and actually went for the throat, so I don't know about that. Any suggestions?

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did Lacey come from? What's the background on her?
This level of aggressiveness usually benefits primarily from a personal trainer.
You can't live with her level of unpredictability for long. I would nip it in the bud and start calling around for recommendations of trainers who work with territorial aggression.
Your girls in your sig are gorgeous btw (and the kitty too of course!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to discuss this with your vet////

I have a semi agressive yorkie in my Gigi she was a rescue who at some pt was mildly abussed... I have her on an herbal pill which is helping with her aggressiveness .... I also have spent time taking her places and putting her in different surroundings..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As for her background, we know very little. The vet places her around 3 years of age, and when we found her, she was very skinny and terrified. She must have been roaming the streets for at least a week or more. She is also terrified of thunderstorms. Ever since we took her in, she has been aggressive towards males. I'll tell my mom about getting a trainer.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She could have been abused, but more than likely she wasn't socialized well, or didn't have very good expiriences with men. Something you can and should be doing is using obedience with her. When someone comes in that's strange, she can bark once [to alert you] but when you tell her to knock it off, it needs to stop. She doesn't have to like the person in the house, but she needs to tolerate them. You can also have her lay down and stay next to you, or sit and stay.

You might also try putting a treat jar by the door, and having your guests hav her sit, and give her one, that could help out as well.

She needs to know that although it's her job to "alert" you about things, she needs to listen to you and not be concerned about the guests you have over.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We haven't had many other incidents so far, since no one strange to her has been coming over. She has been trying to establish herself as Alpha to the black lab pup, Nala. Nala, of course, does not understand what Lacey is doing and continues to get in her face. Lacey is continuously growling and biting at Nala, especially when Nala comes up to my mom for attention. Lacey doesn't seem to want Nala anywhere near my mom (who she has decided is her favorite human, and protects her like crazy.)

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

Lacey is continuously growling and biting at Nala, especially when Nala comes up to my mom for attention. Lacey doesn't seem to want Nala anywhere near my mom (who she has decided is her favorite human, and protects her like crazy.)
This behaviour shouldn't be encouraged. I suspect Lacey is frantically attempting to be alpha cuz she doesn't see the humans as doing it.
For example, if your mom coos and pets her when she is protecting her, this is only reinforcement for Lacey to continue. If a human doesn't step up as leader, its confusing to the dog and they feel they have to step in to the job.
She should be corrected when she does this. But again, I would start with a trainer.. Good Luck!

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't encourage the protectiveness. Lacey submits (rolls on her back to expose her belly) all the time. It kind of makes me sad because I don't like it when she does that. At the moment, Lacey is curled up on the couch with my mom. Its such a cute sight. She's leaving Nala alone for now since Nala is busy chewing on a chewbone (not a real bone).