Labored breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat was playing, eating and purring when he had the breathing problem. I had no idea it was that bad, but x-ray clearly showed that it was an emergency. I also thought that it was infection or something but so glad that I took him to the emergency vet. It's really scary to think that I could stay home and not knowing he was slowly dying in front of my eyes. Cats can mask pain so well. I really hope that you talk to a vet, so that you won't regret and feel guilt if worst happens. I really hope that it's not that bad, but from what you described it sounded kind of scary. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

potbelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My cat was playing, eating and purring when he had the breathing problem. I had no idea it was that bad, but x-ray clearly showed that it was an emergency. I also thought that it was infection or something but so glad that I took him to the emergency vet. It's really scary to think that I could stay home and not knowing he was slowly dying in front of my eyes. Cats can mask pain so well. I really hope that you talk to a vet, so that you won't regret and feel guilt if worst happens. I really hope that it's not that bad, but from what you described it sounded kind of scary. 
I will call tomorrow.

Does anyone know anything about Chlorine poisoning?  I just googled it and discovered that cats love chlorine.  It turns out I use bleach in water to spray the places potbelly sprays to kill the odor, which works quite well, but I never thought he might want to consume the bleach.

Also, I've been doing some gold refining using HCl, but that was months ago and I have the acid in a jar that's locked in a cabinet outside.  I remember seeing potbelly on top of that cabinet right before the abrasion appeared on his scrotum.  The abrasion is consistent with sitting in something which dissolved his skin back there... and he may have licked it off and ingested it.  Though I can't imagine how he would have come into contact with it unless maybe the fumes condensed on top of the cabinet where he sat.  I'm going to inspect the cabinet now.

Would chlorine poisoning produce a labored breathing symptom?

Last edited by a moderator:

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I will call tomorrow.
Sending prayers that Potbelly recovers quickly. Please keep us posted. 

I don't know about chlorine poisoning but I'd think it could burn lungs if inhaled. I don't use chlorine around my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

potbelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find any way for the acid to get out of the cabinet.  

Sending prayers that Potbelly recovers quickly. Please keep us posted. 

I don't know about chlorine poisoning but I'd think it could burn lungs if inhaled. I don't use chlorine around my cats.
Thanks!

I couldn't find any way for the acid to get out of the cabinet and there is no odor.

I used to use muriatic acid (HCl) to clean the oil stains on driveways (it eats concrete) and the fumes would just about burn my nose hairs off.  It would probably really do some damage if a person took a good whiff of that stuff.  But the breathing difficulty he is having is more like a person who is holding back a hiccup rather than having raw lungs.  I think if I had raw lungs, I would be breathing as easy and gently as I could.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please note: Moderator Action

The collective experience and opinions provided by our members is that Potbelly's symptoms indicate that he is suffering and in need of professional veterinary care.  

The moderating team has decided this thread will now be closed; as no further advice can be given.  

Status
Not open for further replies.