Labor?

Kenzbox95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.
I believe my cat is pregnant, she has regular heats I’d say about once a month. I noticed my young male cat who was intact at the time mating with her about 4 weeks ago. I’m assuming she probably got pregnant the heat cycle before because last night she started showing signs of what I thought was labor. Pacing, meowing/chirping and vaginal discharge. She is a very small cat anyways but I have noticed weight gain and her nipples have “pinked up”. She was glued to our sides all night and after awhile the odd behavior stopped. Now she only has the vaginal discharge but no vocalization or pacing. Does this sound like labor? I haven’t taken her to the vet because she gets extremely stressed at the vet and in the car and I’m worried it will cause undue harm and stress to her.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s difficult to say, but it could be pre-labor or a miscarriage, or even a false pregnancy. Wait it out for a couple more weeks as long as she seems okay.

Is your male neutered now? Do you plan to spay your female eventually?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree! But look out if she is OK otherwise... There are many variations, most of them just to observe, but calmly wait out;
but you dont want to risk she was in labor and a kitten fastened up while coming out... This you want to avoid to any price...
Or say, got infected, got fever and pus. Or other very alarming symptoms.

During the time, give her calciusmrich food, whatever you have and she is willing to eat.... Low calcium may cause weak labor... So calcium rich food may help, wont hurt.

Ps. did you feel the kittens move at any moment? Its common you feel kittens move perhaps from 2 weeks before delivery, forward almost to the delivery.

Ps2. IF it was a spontane abortion, its quite common they "deliver" in some quite place, and eat up the results... If so, you will perhaps not notice anything.
But also, it happens they abort 1 kitten, but the others, healthy kittens may become delivered later on in their due time.

Including, IF she got mated again after 4 weeks, she may have 2 different litters... And with any luck, both will delivered. Or the first got aborted, but the next will perhaps get delivered after THEIRS 65 days...

As said, there are many variations. Be prepared, observe, but wait and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenzbox95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s difficult to say, but it could be pre-labor or a miscarriage, or even a false pregnancy. Wait it out for a couple more weeks as long as she seems okay.

Is your male neutered now? Do you plan to spay your female eventually?
Yes our male was neutered about a week after they mated. Thank goodness! I will watch her like a hawk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kenzbox95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree! But look out if she is OK otherwise... There are many variations, most of them just to observe, but calmly wait out;
but you dont want to risk she was in labor and a kitten fastened up while coming out... This you want to avoid to any price...
Or say, got infected, got fever and pus. Or other very alarming symptoms.

During the time, give her calciusmrich food, whatever you have and she is willing to eat.... Low calcium may cause weak labor... So calcium rich food may help, wont hurt.

Ps. did you feel the kittens move at any moment? Its common you feel kittens move perhaps from 2 weeks before delivery, forward almost to the delivery.

Ps2. IF it was a spontane abortion, its quite common they "deliver" in some quite place, and eat up the results... If so, you will perhaps not notice anything.
But also, it happens they abort 1 kitten, but the others, healthy kittens may become delivered later on in their due time.

Including, IF she got mated again after 4 weeks, she may have 2 different litters... And with any luck, both will delivered. Or the first got aborted, but the next will perhaps get delivered after THEIRS 65 days...

As said, there are many variations. Be prepared, observe, but wait and see.
I have checked for fever and she doesn’t have a fever so that is making me stay a little more calm. I will just continue to observe