Labor Soon?

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I have multiple threads but can't quite find the same thing going on that is going on with my preggers cat. (Yes, I plan on spaying, no post needed about it). I have been taking her temperature since June 29th and it has been no higher than 100.5 and no lower than 100.2. Day before yesterday it dropped down to 99.1 (my vet told me to take her temperature daily as it would be a good indicator as to when she would soon have her babies) It has been anywhere from 99.1-99.7 until this afternoon when it went back up to 100.3. She is between 62 and 69 days along as of today. She still seems to be eating fine, drinking fine, wants constant attention which is very unlike her. She was a stand off-ish cat until about 3 weeks ago. I haven't noticed any discharge. She will lay on her side and you can see the babies moving around quite a bit. I think the most concerning thing is that (when I was taking her temperature) you can see a darker bubble looking thing in the middle of her lady business. Could it be a baby sack? She was a smaller cat when she got pregnant and she has ballooned and is HUGE so I don't know if there just isn't anymore room in there for the babies so they are so close to her lady bits or is she is getting ready to have them? This has been there since the day before yesterday. I have her upstairs in my room where its quiet. She has 2 nesting boxes that I have set up for her (although she seems to prefer the floor) and she has food, water, and a litter box. Does it sound like she is going into labor soon? I will attach a couple of pictures of her. Thank you for your help!

Also, how many babies does it look like she will have? It is her first litter.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read multiple threads** sorry

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like she's close. I'd probably stop taking temperature because it's likely uncomfortable at this point.

It's hard to guess how many. She looks like three or four, but I've seen giant mom's with one and tiny mom's with five

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will stop taking her temperature. I don't want to make her more uncomfortable than she already is. My sister, without talking to me first, gave her to my daughter and she got out very shortly after that. So I have pushed her vet appointment for being spayed out for 13 weeks (hoping she gives birth this week. I will push out closer to that time if I need to). I am hoping that it is a smaller litter. I have homes for 4 kittens with family and friends that want one. So I know they will all be well taken care of. I am just hoping she doesn't have upwards of 8 or something. I don't know if they can have a lot of babies if it is their first litter or not? thanks! I really appreciate your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with stopping taking her temp. It actually is not a reliable indicator, and is very uncomfortable.

Try to relax. She’ll have them soon! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will stop taking her temperature. I don't want to make her more uncomfortable than she already is. My sister, without talking to me first, gave her to my daughter and she got out very shortly after that. So I have pushed her vet appointment for being spayed out for 13 weeks (hoping she gives birth this week. I will push out closer to that time if I need to). I am hoping that it is a smaller litter. I have homes for 4 kittens with family and friends that want one. So I know they will all be well taken care of. I am just hoping she doesn't have upwards of 8 or something. I don't know if they can have a lot of babies if it is their first litter or not? thanks! I really appreciate your help!
It's a mixed bag on litter size. If she wasn't out long then chances are she only mated once or twice so that could lead to a smaller litter. If she was out longer there could be multiple matings and a better chance for a higher number of kittens. Let's hope on the four since you have four homes, although maybe you could convince someone to take a buddy if there are five or six?

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am anxious but excited lol. She was out for about 4 days. I asked my sister where she got her from after she got out thinking she might head back that way and I would have a better chance of finding her (thankfully she came home on her own because I couldn't find her) but she said that she was a barn cat so I am wondering if that is why she seems to prefer being outside to being indoors? My other cat was scared of the outside lol. I am hoping that I can convince a few to take a buddy if I need to. I have a few friends that are debating on taking one if there are more than 4 also.

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope so to! Be cool if it ends up being the same day! Im checking on her now. Shes got something sticking out of her. Whitish/yellow colored kind of? Is this her muscus plug? Or a baby maybe?

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: plug came out but no babies yet. Shes still eating but is laying around a lot and meowing. Has some heavy breathing but mostly normal breathing. Fingers crossed for some progress today

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just threw up. Is that a potential sign of labour or did she just eat too fast? I really appreciate all the help!

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Things are good. No changes yet that i have noticed. Its been 3 days since her mucus plus came out. I thought i seen a contraction when i was on my lunch break. Im so hoping for very soon lol

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WE HAVE BABIES!!! 4 kittens so far but have seen her push a couple of times since the 4th little was born. So wondering if there is another baby coming soon. I had my sister check on her at 11:15a and she had no signs of labor or anything. I came home and checked on her at 1:40p and the 3rd baby had just been born . I will post a few pics that i have taken already.

anxiouskittymama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should i helo her clean herself up? She looks exhausted..

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Babies!!

Give her a little time to clean herself up first. She may not be done yet. Although it wouldn't hurt to use a wet cloth to help a little if she is comfortable. I'd be more concerned about the babies being clean because they cant regulate their body temperature. They do look clean and fluffy in the photo but since they are black I could be wrong.