Labor Day

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Anybody doing anything for the Labor Day holiday? We're not doing much this year, no big picnics or anything like that. Rick said he doesn't really feel like doing anything fancy or anything that's a lot of work. It's a 3-day weekend for both of us and we're planning on working around the house and yard. We might even close the pool this weekend.

I think we're going to do our holiday dinner on Sunday instead of Monday and then do leftovers on Monday. I just went downstairs and took the pork shoulder out of the freezer and stuck it in the fridge to thaw. Rick said last night that he's really hungry for crock pot beans and I'm going to make a little potato salad. We're also doing wings on the grill as I haven't had wings the entire summer. I'll get those out of the freezer on Saturday morning to thaw in the fridge, along with the bacon for the beans. Not sure about dessert, but there's one apple pie left in the freezer; I might as well get that out and get it used up. I'm going to bake some Snickerdoodles this weekend as Rick will be leaving soon for Oregon.

Rick's mother called me last night to see what we were doing for the holiday and what time Rick would pick her up for dinner on Sunday, so that's taken care of. She says she might come down both Sunday and Monday. She asked me if I was making cookies, so I guess that was my cue anyway. My niece and nephew-in-law are coming home and she'll want some Snicks, too. I think I'll just bake a double batch. 

So we're doing pulled pork on the grill with Espresso BBQ Sauce, along with some Louisville Wings for me on the grill. Potato salad and maybe some coleslaw. Crock pot beans. I'm kind of hungry for stuffed mushrooms. The apple pie and some snickerdoodles. I'll make some iced tea with mint from the garden. That should be plenty; it's just the three of us....will give us some leftovers, too.

The only thing I need to buy is a pack of ciabatta rolls for the pork. And I'm out of bourbon to make my wing sauce, so I'll need to stop at the liquor store. That should be it.

What about you? Anybody making special plans? Anything exciting going on? Who's having a picnic and what time should I be there? 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Espresso BBQ sauce sounds amazing. Recipe?

We're not doing much of anything. I took today and tomorrow off. Tom goes back to school full time next week so I figured it was our last few days to hang out together for a while. Unfortunately, weather looks dismal except for Saturday. There's a hurricane heading up the coast and NJ will get some impact from it - mostly some heavy wind and showers but enough to put a damper on things.

We're heading out early today to get some chores done (I need to finally place my order for a new front door) and then head back home to relax. Which, I am more than ok with.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no plans for the Labor Day weekend here, other than to relax and enjoy the quiet.

i made a batch of potato salad a couple days ago, so will be having that with hot dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Espresso BBQ sauce sounds amazing. Recipe?

We're not doing much of anything. I took today and tomorrow off. Tom goes back to school full time next week so I figured it was our last few days to hang out together for a while. Unfortunately, weather looks dismal except for Saturday. There's a hurricane heading up the coast and NJ will get some impact from it - mostly some heavy wind and showers but enough to put a damper on things.

We're heading out early today to get some chores done (I need to finally place my order for a new front door) and then head back home to relax. Which, I am more than ok with.
You can find the recipe here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238294/marinades-rubs-gravies

It's a good BBQ sauce, good with ribs, pulled pork, etc. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You're very welcome, Laurie. I hope you like it!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's just me and the furkids. DD is back at school. I'll have an extra day with the kids since I'm off Monday. I think I'll broil a chicken breast or something for them and give it them with their supper or as a snack 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My sister called last night to see how we liked the new Speed Queen. While we were talking, I asked her if they wanted to come over here for dinner on Sunday. So now my sister and BIL are coming over with my niece and nephew-in-law. 

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, your menu sounds delicious as always! I made pork ribs last night, and there's leftovers. Plus some tuna casserole I made the other night. That will feed us for the weekend. We're both working, but we have Monday off. Looking forward to a relaxing day and the weather is supposed to be good.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Oooh, I would gladly take some of those ribs!

One of my GFs called late last night. Wanted to know what we were doing for dinner today. They were going to grill as their son and his fiance were coming over for dinner today. The guts in their grill  are in such bad shape that her husband is afraid to use the grill. Her DH said, "Hey, why don't you call Rick and Pam; maybe we can just go up there and we'll use their grill!" The four of them are coming here for dinner today, in addition to my sister and BIL, their daughter and SIL, and Rick's mom. Looks like we're going to have a nice group here after all! 
 She already made some pasta salad and she made some cupcakes and her DH was going to do brats, so she said she'll just bring everything along. She also just bought a case of Smirnoff Ice yesterday!
And with the food that we have, we'll have plenty. It works! I just love it when we can have a party, even when it's not really planned.

I said to Rick that it was good he had just replaced our grill guts the other week. Whew!

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We couldn't make any plans because of Hermine. It breezed in and rained and blew hard. By a miracle our power stayed on. Friday and Saturday were wet windy days. No special plans for the rest of the weekend, just rest. :nod:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Lots of plans canceled here because of Hermine, but we didn't have any anyway. It's back to work for Aaron after being off for almost two weeks, so he wants to just burrow in and relax. I'm trying to dig out from being away.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last of the storm blew out of here Friday night, & has been nice the rest of the weekend.
One of my aunt's, (my mom's twin) came down from the mountains to visit, we we all went out to eat Saturday night. Yesterday, consent over to my parents & had dinner with them again.

It's finally cooled off a bit here & the humidity has dropped, so today, I finally got out & started walking again. On the way back, I saw a client of mine who is living around the corner w/ her best friend until she finds a new house. I was letting her know I had lost one of my regular customers, (I think his new live_in g.f. is doing the cleaning now, so...) Anyway, if she knew anyone looking, I had a spot to fill. She asked me if I wanted to make 60.00 today, that she needed a massage. So I said yes, how about in an hr & 1/2. So yay! I was meant to go walking today & see her. I needed the money. I didn't plan on doing a massage today, but glad I did!! :bigthumb:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing much happening here. Actually wore a light cardigan for half of my daily walk, which was weird to cover up my arms after so many weeks of hot weather. Comcast Cable went out for a while, which was a drag. We had no TV, Internet, or phone for a couple of hours. A lot of people in neighboring streets have been blasting very loud music which is a drag after a while.