L-Lysine

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased some L-Lysine for Maverick after some members recommended it might help him in regards to his feline herpes, but sadly, by the time I learned about it and got it it was too late.
I have a huge container of it just sitting here that I never got to use, and I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and use it on the other furkids. With a multiple cat household and two FIP cats, I'm thinking it sure can't hurt. Or is the stuff just used for a specific purpose?

Any input would be appreciated!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in my house, everybody is on it... It goes in the water fountain... As far as I know it is an immune system booster, good for all kitties, kind of like kitty vitamins. For Herpes, it goes without saying - it cuts the cycle of the Herpes virus, so that is an specific use, but besides that, it helps other kitties too, regardless of the virus...
Now, with everything, since your cats have FIP, why not ask the vet first just to make sure? IMO, I don't see how it would hurt though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lysine is a amino acid .. helps with herpes , immune system issues and general health as any excess is peed out

I too suggest running it by the vet who may suggest a few other aminos or a whole amino acid supplement due to your kitties issues

Be careful that you get one without excess ingredients ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Here in my house, everybody is on it... It goes in the water fountain... As far as I know it is an immune system booster, good for all kitties, kind of like kitty vitamins. For Herpes, it goes without saying - it cuts the cycle of the Herpes virus, so that is an specific use, but besides that, it helps other kitties too, regardless of the virus...
Now, with everything, since your cats have FIP, why not ask the vet first just to make sure? IMO, I don't see how it would hurt though.
I sure wish I would have found out about the stuff before I did. Maybe Maverick would still be here.
It serves me right for not visiting TCS more often and asking more questions.

That's what I was thinking too, Carolina. It may boost Geronimo & Winchester's immune system. But I'll ask my vet before using the stuff.

Thanks for the input!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Lysine is a amino acid .. helps with herpes , immune system issues and general health as any excess is peed out

I too suggest running it by the vet who may suggest a few other aminos or a whole amino acid supplement due to your kitties issues

Be careful that you get one without excess ingredients ...
How would you know if it has any excess ingredients?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lysine is often the only one... some add a binding agent like rice flour or magnesium sterate... double check what is in it on the label

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the kind that comes in a tube and I try to put it on little Larry's paw.
He had extensive eye infections when he was a kitten and they get leaky and teary eyed at times still.
What is the kind that you put in the water?
That might be easier than the gel as Larry always seems to know when I am coming with the gel.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JIL05

I have the kind that comes in a tube and I try to put it on little Larry's paw.
He had extensive eye infections when he was a kitten and they get leaky and teary eyed at times still.
What is the kind that you put in the water?
That might be easier than the gel as Larry always seems to know when I am coming with the gel.
This is the one I get, from Now foods... It is awesome... you can put it on the water (which is what I do), on the food (how I supplement it during flare ups)... It is cheap... The tube has 822 doses of 500mg, and it costs about $11 plus shipping.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

lysine is often the only one... some add a binding agent like rice flour or magnesium sterate... double check what is in it on the label
This is what's on the label:

L-Lysine (from 552 mg of L-Lysine Monohydrochloride)

Contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.

I'm assuming it's the one I should use?

Originally Posted by Carolina

This is the one I get, from Now foods... It is awesome... you can put it on the water (which is what I do), on the food (how I supplement it during flare ups)... It is cheap... The tube has 822 doses of 500mg, and it costs about $11 plus shipping.
That's exactly the stuff I have: I also got mine from Amazon.

How much do you use to put in their water?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

This is what's on the label:

L-Lysine (from 552 mg of L-Lysine Monohydrochloride)

Contains no sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives.

I'm assuming it's the one I should use?

That's exactly the stuff I have: I also got mine from Amazon.

How much do you use to put in their water?
Mine goes into their fountain - You know the coffee pot for the standard coffee machine? I put 1/4 tsp (which gives you 500mg of Lysine) per cup... Each of those "Cups" have roughly 6-6.5 oz, which is pretty close to what they should be drinking a day... So if it is a10 cup pot, I put 10 1/4 tsp in it... Note - this are NOT the 8oz cup... these are the "coffee pot cup" they are less than 8 oz...
When he has a flare up, I double it, by putting another 1/4 tsp on his wet food and giving it directly to him.
This has worked perfectly here - Bugsy hasn't had a flare up since we started this regimen...
So, that's how I do it

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my kitties here are on it as well, especially where I foster and often have sick kitties in the house. (The fosters have their own room, but still better to be safe rather than sorry.) I just mix it right in with their food.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mattie has herpes issues too. I just use a pill grinder and grind the pills. Then I sprinkle it in her food. I would ask my vet before I give it to any more cats. As for the lysine itself, it helps with cold sores outbreaks that I get on my mouth. I start taking it when I feel them coming.

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed it for my kitten, just for immune system booster. She gave me a container that has a powdered form with a little tiny scooper. He gets one scoop per day which I sprinkle on his food. It seems to be working well, he hasn't been sneezing as much since I started using it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also put the powdered form into one of our water bowls. I have 2 cats with auto immune diseases and another with chronic rodent ulcer. I will tell you that it has helped my boy (Pinky) with the rodent ulcer. He hasn't had a bad flare up since I started to do this.

But do ask your vet. My vet's opinion was: "it won't hurt".

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't started giving it to my cats yet but I take it when I am or feel like I may be getting sick. Especially during the winter. Great stuff. At work we sprinkle a little over all the cat's food bowls every day. It seems to really make a difference.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the paste I would suggest for those who dont want powder is avail at amazon for a fraction of what the vets charge is called Enisyl- f ... it has more ingrediants but is tastey to kitty and also works for hairballs as I found out

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all your input.
I'm waiting for the vet to call me back now: not only regarding the L-Lysine, but also to see if I need to bring Geronimo back in again for his FIP flare-ups. From what you're all saying, I really don't think it would be a bad idea at all to put all the furkids on the stuff - especially Geronimo & Winchester, my two FIP babies.

Thanks y'all!