L-lysine Treats For Feline Herpes?

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat was diagnosed with feline herpes today, and I was reading that Lysine can help cats with their symptoms. My cat has runny eyes and wheezing. I was thinking about trying the "Pet Naturals of Vermont L-Lysine Cat Chews", because they're decently priced on Chewy. Has anyone ever tried them and seen results, or have any other recommendations?

Thank you!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never tried the treats since the powdered version is what my vet had and suggested. I use Viralysis. One full scoop that came with it was 500mg. So I did that everyday for about three weeks before I lowered it to 250mg. Then after another three weeks of that, I stop since my vet says 6 weeks is when it is most effective. But people on her said that you can use lysine indefinitely.

Have you taken your cat to the vet? If not, ask your vet what dosage s/he recommends.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My cat was diagnosed with feline herpes today, and I was reading that Lysine can help cats with their symptoms. My cat has runny eyes and wheezing. I was thinking about trying the "Pet Naturals of Vermont L-Lysine Cat Chews", because they're decently priced on Chewy. Has anyone ever tried them and seen results, or have any other recommendations?

Thank you!
Our cats never liked the treats . Depending on the brand they can be rather large and hard to chew . I use Lysine powder which I buy from Chewy . It is flavored and I mix it right in with their Friskies twice a day . It works well for us . It is on sale right now . Tomlyn Immune Support L-Lysine Powder Cat Supplement, 3.5-oz tub

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never tried the treats since the powdered version is what my vet had and suggested. I use Viralysis. One full scoop that came with it was 500mg. So I did that everyday for about three weeks before I lowered it to 250mg. Then after another three weeks of that, I stop since my vet says 6 weeks is when it is most effective. But people on her said that you can use lysine indefinitely.

Have you taken your cat to the vet? If not, ask your vet what dosage s/he recommends.
I took my cat to the vet, and she said he more than likely had feline herpes. The vet said we could try anti-biotics and an eye cream on him to see if it's just some sort of infection, but I declined since I already tried both of those things on my own. She said if it was truly herpes, the anti-biotics/eye cream wouldn't help. She didn't give me any further advice on feline herpes after that. I found out about Lysine through my own research. I called the vet again, and she said I could try the Lysine, but she seemed doubtful that it would actually help. I'm still going to try it anyways, because some people say it really works.

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I bought my cat the L-Lysine treats, and I'm shocked. His eyes look a lot better just after one daily dose. I can actually see the color in his eyes instead of just gunk, and I haven't heard him wheeze once today. He's not squinting for once.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I bought my cat the L-Lysine treats, and I'm shocked. His eyes look a lot better just after one daily dose. I can actually see the color in his eyes instead of just gunk, and I haven't heard him wheeze once today. He's not squinting for once.
Aww he's so sweet. I'm glad he likes the treats and he's feeling better. What treats did you get?

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww he's so sweet. I'm glad he likes the treats and he's feeling better. What treats did you get?
Thank you!! :) I ended up choosing the "Pet Naturals of Vermont L-Lysine Cat Chews" treats. I didn't think he'd eat them, because they have a strange smell, but he gobbles them up with no problem lol. I'm just so grateful for everyone on this forum who has posted about L-Lysine. It's been a miracle for him so far. :)

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! :) I ended up choosing the "Pet Naturals of Vermont L-Lysine Cat Chews" treats. I didn't think he'd eat them, because they have a strange smell, but he gobbles them up with no problem lol. I'm just so grateful for everyone on this forum who has posted about L-Lysine. It's been a miracle for him so far. :)
That's wonderful to hear. :clapcat: