L-lysine immune booster

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two cats get L-lysine paste once a day to help their immune systems (one is a new kitten) and I have been putting it in their wet food. Not a perfect system as I'm sure they are not getting the full dose, but it works.

When I tried putting it on their paws, well it only worked the first day and they licked it off, then they figured out that if they shake their paws hard enough it flies off

I know how to give liquid meds and dry meds, but this stuff is hard. Supposedly it tastes good, but the cats don't seem to agree fully. Is there an easier way?

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that takes L-Lysine everyday. I am fortunate that he is very patient with me! I get Enisyl-F which is a soft paste in a pump bottle. I put a glob on my finger and put it in his mouth. He never complains and it's fast and easy. If I had to give it to any of my other cats it would be a big pain and I would be missing a few fingers

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get it powdered over there? Apparently that is tasteless.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Duralactin+Lysine and Enisyl-F and one other, but my kitten doesn't like the taste of any of those. What I used to do (and my vet recommended) was buy the L-Lysine capsules from a health food store and empty the powder from the capsule into canned food and mix it up. It worked great for quite a while. I also saw Nu-cat makes a L-lysine chewable supplement and I plan to get that and give it a try because my kitten loves the Nu-cat vitamin chews so he might like the taste of that as well.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the powdered form. The brand is "Now" and it comes in a 1 pound container. At 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon a day it will last me a year. The health store ordered it for me and I have ordered it online also. I put the powder in their water or wet food. Sometimes I put it in a spoon of all meat baby food as a treat.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the pills, you can get them at any drug store... or even Krogers/Walmart, etc. I crush them up and put them in the water for all of the cats to have and then the ones that need a little extra get it mixed in with their wet food.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

I use the powdered form. The brand is "Now" and it comes in a 1 pound container. At 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon a day it will last me a year. The health store ordered it for me and I have ordered it online also. I put the powder in their water or wet food. Sometimes I put it in a spoon of all meat baby food as a treat.

I bought the NOW brand powder online from a company called Bodybuilding.com and it was $12.50 + $6 shipping, a lot cheaper than the capsules. Shipping is still $6 if you buy 2 so it's even cheaper then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow
Thanks for giving me hope on this stuff guys! I didn't realize you could use human pills...that should work alot better.