L-lysine For Dogs?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cavalier king Charles Spaniel and he has very runny eyes. Everyone I talk to says they give l-lysine drops in their dogs eyes and that helps them with the dry eyes.

My vet only wants to give me a tube of ointment that is extremely expensive and way out of my budget. Not something that I can buy every month and continue to use. She won't give me the drops.

I see that l-lysine also comes in a powder and tablet form. Would giving that to him also help with dry eyes? Or can I give over the counter eye drops to him regularly? There has to be some cure to dry eyes that is cheaper than $200 per month in eye ointment.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they diagnosed the reason why he has dry eyes? Then you could look st alternative even natural treatments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Have they diagnosed the reason why he has dry eyes? Then you could look st alternative even natural treatments
Its very common for this breed. It has to do with the anatomy and how their heads are shaped. They have very big almost bulging eyes and that affects the tear ducts. Sometimes they grow out of it as their skull grows, but I've rarely seen a cav that doesn't have runny eyes.

Most people I know use l lysine eye drops. My vet wants to sell me a tiny tube of opptimune. There's also over the counter ointment, and over the counter drops. His eyes looked great when I used the optimune, but its like $50 and it barely lasts over a week and its only by prescription.

Some people also say if you give them only spring water that helps. Haven't tried it yet though.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its very common for this breed. It has to do with the anatomy and how their heads are shaped. They have very big almost bulging eyes and that affects the tear ducts. Sometimes they grow out of it as their skull grows, but I've rarely seen a cav that doesn't have runny eyes.

Most people I know use l lysine eye drops. My vet wants to sell me a tiny tube of opptimune. There's also over the counter ointment, and over the counter drops. His eyes looked great when I used the optimune, but its like $50 and it barely lasts over a week and its only by prescription.

Some people also say if you give them only spring water that helps. Haven't tried it yet though.

Are the lysine drops expensive? I guess if other people use it and it works then it should be ok to use? Sorry I don’t know anything about this but I agree you can’t afford such expensive long term treatment because then you have no money if you need it for him for a more serious problem (which hopefully will never happen) try ask ‘Your Vet Online’ on Facebook for advice

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also research colloidal silver you can use this for a million things on dogs and humans and it comes as a spray but maybe other forms too

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked this question on FB on a cavalier group and the admin replied ,

"please don‘t play doctor with your dogs - ask a vet and do not give such f***ing advices to my group members - this is bulls**t and the most stupid thing I‘ve ever heard - delete your posting or I will block you from all of my groups for lifetime - you have ten minutes to do so"

God I can't stand Facebook. I ask one simple question about what I can do with my dogs runny eyes, and this is the first response I get.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked this question on FB on a cavalier group and the admin replied ,

"please don‘t play doctor with your dogs - ask a vet and do not give such f***ing advices to my group members - this is bulls**t and the most stupid thing I‘ve ever heard - delete your posting or I will block you from all of my groups for lifetime - you have ten minutes to do so"

God I can't stand Facebook. I ask one simple question about what I can do with my dogs runny eyes, and this is the first response I get.
God that’s awful. Some advice would still be helpful for you to research yourself

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
And he now blocked me from the group that I have been an active member of for more than 2 years. This is why I say that I hate people.
I just want to know how I can treat dry eye. I think I'm going to try some over the counter ointment. The reviews say it's just as good as the prescription.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try remember to ask my vet for her advice for u she’s very good. Sorry bout being blocked but it’s not worth your time worrying about it

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try remember to ask my vet for her advice for u she’s very good. Sorry bout being blocked but it’s not worth your time worrying about it
Thanks, I'd appreciate it. She wants to sell me a tiny bottle of Opptimune for $50, but I can get sterile Vaseline in a tube that's basically the same thing but with no anti-inflammatory medicine for like $6 a tube. There's some over the counter eye drops, but the vet said eye drops wont work.

I also heard of people only giving spring water to drink to help, but I don't really know if that works.

My poor pup, I know his eyes bother him. He rubs them all the time and they are always boogery and runny. I'd like to help him. The opptimune did help, but it's just too expensive for a lifetime of use.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would Terramycin ointment work? It worked for my cat's runny eyes. I had him on lysine treats, but it always came back. The Terramycin cleared it up. Of course, ask your vet first. I don't know what he had, I thought it was herpes, but the lysine never completely cured it.