Kyra scratching her neck/shoulder.....perhaps a bit too much ?

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kyra is about 8 y/o a stray that adopted us 6 years ago and is now an indoor cat. In August/September she was scratching neck and shoulder areas quite a bit 10-20 times/day for just a few seconds each time. She is a Norwegian Forest Cat, probably.... and has thick fur. Went to vet in early October and vet could not find anything amiss. Gave her a shot of depo-Medrol.....0.15 dose. Worked pretty good. Now scratching only 5 times a day. Recheck with vet 2 weeks later went well. No more shots. Perhaps a skin scrape and lab to see if anything there...might be next.

Better Half thinks a 7 day stay in August at a local boarding place might have upset the cat and caused the scratching. I dunno.

We are checking on food allergies, both wet, dry and treats. Why do cats get Zyrtec ? Maybe litter should be unscented and dust free ? Wife likes to spray air freshener in her litter box....No ear mites.

In the meantime, I know someone who has their cats on Prozac....?? Also saw a "calming" supplement composed of Thiamine (B1)...Colostrum and L-Thdeanine. Any thoughts for Kyra ?

TIA

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats get Zyrtec for allergies, all types other than food allergies. Dust, pollen, things that people take Zyrtec for. Many cats here on TCS take Zyrtec. Some take Benedryl. One of my cats was scratching more than usual and our Vet said to give him children's benedryl.

I would say definitely use unscented litter and STOP spraying air freshener in the litter box. If it's smelling, clean it more often. We clean our out twice per day. To clarify, we use clumping unscented litter and scoop out anything in there twice per day. We only empty all the litter out and wash out the boxes perhaps once per month.

Prozac isn't typically used for itching. It's more an anti-anxiety drug. Cats who are stressed out don't usually scratch, they are more prone to pulling their fur out.

Food allergies can cause itching, usually around their head, so it could be a food allergy, although neck and shoulders isn't actually her head. Does she wear a collar? If so, I'd tend to look at that as the culprit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks....we will gnaw on your advice for awhile .....and no collar for Kyra.