Knowing When To Start Prednisolone

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho is 10 and started having hairball issues in 2017. He would vomit a hairball in the warmer months twice a month . I started him on Egg Yoke Lecithin and increased it to 1 cap daily over several months. Then I added Slippery Elm Bark 3 x a week and the episodes cut back to 1x every 3-4 weeks.
In October he had his mid year Wellness exam and had blood work to include T4, urine analysis, Xray and everything was great. No signs of thickening or Thyroid diseaseq. We did not see his regular Vet as he was dealing with a personal issue ( wife had just been diagnosed with leukemia). The substitute Vet said we could start Prednisolone to see if that would help. His weight fluctuates but has all his life. I did not think his vomiting once a month warranted such a heavy duty drug. He is maitaining his 11 lbs which is actually the most he s weighed in years. I told the Vet I would monitor him and think about it.
He has his next exam due in April and I plan to schedule this with his regular Vet.
I d like opinions on when you all think starting steriods is appropriate.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, if he's not having any new issues and his weight has been relatively stable, then I'd be disinclined to start him on pred. Why introduce a drug to his system if he doesn't need it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was my thinking. If he was vomiting once a week or more often then it would be different.
Thank for your imput.