Know what irks me?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes some may have been truly abled bodied but I am sure there were a few like me ... Young and healthy looking... well I am not and sometimes I need that assistance
Agreed. I have hypermobility syndrome (as well as mild arthritis) - I can dislocate my wrist bones putting my hand into my pocket to get my keys out, or do a painful injury to my knee joint just by walking - so there's no way I'm pushing or pulling on a door if I don't have to.

I don't look as if I need the help, but dislocating a joint is *&^£ painful and I'm not risking it unless I have to.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This issue doesn't irk me...because we dont have those push buttons...what does irk me is that people will stand around infront of the doors or just in front of escalators...chatting, while we have to go around them!Is it too hard to go away from the doors and escalators?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a good one... I have actually been pushing a stroller, wrested the door open and got the stroller into a position to hold the door open so I could push it through. People have actually gone thru the door that took me a good 30 seconds to get propped open before I have a chance to push on through.
I never use the push buttons because there is a handicapped sign on them, not a mommy sign. I expect people to either open the door for me, or do it myself.

I really appreciate stores that have expectant and new mother parking. While I don't use either anymore, it was a godsend when I was 9 months pregnant in August in the South.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appear able bodied, but I am not, nor am I old.
If I am alone, or no helpful person is around I will push the buttons.
Jeremy, being a gentleman actually opens doors for me when he is with me.

What I can't stand (and I am a smoker) is smokers who stand around outside doors smoking, causing everyone to have to walk through their second hand toxins just to get inside.
I get as far away from the doors and pedestrian traffic areas as I possibly can, it's not that difficult.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Mommy

Yes! What is wrong with people today? No one else thinks about anyone else... all they see is themselves
I worked customerservice until recently and I saw it every day. People pushing, running into each other with their strollers trying it get ahead of each other, just so they could all wait in line. People hardly say thank you anymore or please. What I couldn't stand was people not acknowledging my "hello". Common politeness... hello! It doesn't kill you to say hello back to someone! Off my
ok, i don't have a response to your post, but wanted to compliment your signature - i've seen it before & just love the way your RB kits are incorporated with your current ones. Anakat did a lovely job

Originally Posted by Abymummy

This issue doesn't irk me...because we dont have those push buttons...what does irk me is that people will stand around infront of the doors or just in front of escalators...chatting, while we have to go around them!Is it too hard to go away from the doors and escalators?
ok, you've just hit my pet peeve - why can't they just take a few more steps & clear the doorways? this happens to me all the time! i'm somewhere where there's a large amount of people, & i'm following a crowd out a door... & some doofuses [or would that be doofi?] stop about 2 steps out the door to talk!
c'mon, people, you're not the only ones wanting to walk thru the door!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'm on the other side of this a bit - I generally push those buttons FOR people (then sneak through while they're still open 'cause yes, I'm lazy!
) I also hold doors open for folks with strollers, the elderly, etc.

I can't tell you how many times I have held the door for someone who walked right past me like I'm not even there, as if the door was opened and held open by magic! The worst offenders of this are old men, obviously not gentlemen!

I generally say, "You're WELCOME!" really loudly. It usually doesn't do anything except make me feel better, but I still think holding the doors is the right thing to do.
That's sooo true!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

What I can't stand (and I am a smoker) is smokers who stand around outside doors smoking, causing everyone to have to walk through their second hand toxins just to get inside.
I get as far away from the doors and pedestrian traffic areas as I possibly can, it's not that difficult.
I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who can't stand that eithor! I hate having to walk through that. People can be soo inconsiderate sometimes! I love how they all face you and blow out smoke as your walking by...i'm short...it always winds up in my face and lungs and makes me ill. I wish they would at least scoot back a bit when others walk by. (some kind people do, but not many) At my college....people always crowd aroud the entry doors to smoke...so I have to walk through that every single day and be exposed to second hand smoke- I hate that. There are no other alternative entrances I can use eithor to avoid it, because there are smokers at every entrance
I can't avoid being exposed to second hand smoke...I don't think I should have to choose between exposing my lungs to harmful secondhand smoke or getting a quality education. I don't want to be around it, i don't want to smell like it, and I certainly don't think I should have to be exposed to it at school. Unfortunately the college set up outdoor ashtrays right outside the entry doors so that is where everyone goes to smoke. I really wish that the college would move that area away from the entry doors because everyone has to walk through the smoke clouds to get where they need to be. This includes people with lung and astmah problems like me. I have severe astmah and have had 6 astmah attacks as a result of having to walk through the smoke to get to my classes. I find it unacceptable. (I've kindly written to the dpt heads about this and have yet to hear back from them.) I wish that they would make a new designated smoking area to accomidate the smoking students AWAY from the entry doors and away from anyone who does not want to be exposed to smoke. That way the students who smoke could go about their business and be happy and the students who do not wish to be exposed to second hand smoke wouldn't have to walk through it. Seems like a common sense solution!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My public pet peeve is when the obviously disabled or elderly get on the bus and there are young able bodied adults sitting in the front seats (reserved for moms, eldery and disabled)...

Its infuriating when they don't blink an eye and go on chatting while the person strains to get to a seat...

If I am close enough, I usually will say something but then sometimes you get the evil eye thrown back at you! (like you are the one being rude!)...