Knee sprain in kitten?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree about finding another vet, feline only while you're at it if possible. And I was going to mention Metacam but didn't want to scare even more.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on how the tendon is injured. I'm currently caring for a 5 month old whose Achilles' tendon was elongated (we got him after the injury) though we initially thought he had ruptured the tendon. He also had/has severe muscle atrophy. This kitten has been on cage confinement since we got custody of him at around 9 weeks of age (so for 3+ months now.) He had surgery when he was 12 wks old. (Tendon shortened and stitched back together and a screw was placed in jis ankle area to keep the joint from moving.).

We go back for a recheck next week and I am *hoping* I am given permission to allow him to have supervised time out of the crate.

As for Meloxicam (Metacam) I have used it multiple times in both cats and kittens. People are hesitant because it can cause kidney/liver damage in cats. It is very important to make sure the cat stays hydrated (I add water to canned food.)

I prefer to use Buprenex (Buprenorphine) to control pain; but, believe that Meloxicam has its place in feline medicine and can be very helpful. (Personally I use Onsior (another NSAID specifally for cats) off-label for 2 of my cats and haven't had any issues at all...bloodwork is done on them every 3 months....I've been using Onsior for 2+ years.)

meowstheword

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two cents? If X-ray show no damage, I would crate him for a week (a large cage/covered play pen). This would limit his activity but still allowing him to move about. If he keeps running around the tendon will never heal/reduce swelling. This of it like a shoulder impingement - the area is inflamed and it needs rest. Ice it to reduce the swelling...not too much :)

Speedy recovery to your baby [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128049[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milofever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cents? If X-ray show no damage, I would crate him for a week (a large cage/covered play pen). This would limit his activity but still allowing him to move about. If he keeps running around the tendon will never heal/reduce swelling. This of it like a shoulder impingement - the area is inflamed and it needs rest. Ice it to reduce the swelling...not too much

Speedy recovery to your baby [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128049[/emoji]
Thank you! This makes me feel a little better. I guess I'm just more worried today because the swelling has spread to his ankle and foot now. It seems so strange to me. The past two days he hasn't been running, jumping or playing much at all.. mostly sleeping, but is still eating normally and using the litter box the same. In the past half hour or so he perked up a bit and has been wandering around, but not much jumping. Is walking ok? - The vet said to keep him on the anti-inflammatories and watch the swelling for the next day or two. - I tried to put him in the crate now since he's wandering more, but then he stands up on his hind legs trying to get out and seems even more active than before.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since the swelling keeps moving onward what about a hidden abcess ? Since you've only had him a short time who knows what went on before ? IE was he in with other cats and kittens ?

milofever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since the swelling keeps moving onward what about a hidden abcess ? Since you've only had him a short time who knows what went on before ? IE was he in with other cats and kittens ?
I've been wondering the same thing. I asked my vet and she said it doesn't make sense since there is no wound anywhere. I've also felt and looked and can't find anything. He was sharing a space with a small kitten when I adopted him. I just found a new vet since my current one hasn't done much. I hope they can figure it out. He's putting a little more weight on that leg now and is more playful again.. Still more tired than he was previously though.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad he seems to be feeling better !
If the swollen part of the leg feels warm compared to the rest of leg.... still some kind of infection...
Many jingles, hope your new vet can figure it out.

Lisa

milofever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad he seems to be feeling better !
If the swollen part of the leg feels warm compared to the rest of leg.... still some kind of infection...
Many jingles, hope your new vet can figure it out.

Lisa
Thank you! He is definitely improving now. I am so relieved. The swelling never felt warm and he never seemed like he had a fever. The swelling under his knee to his foot is completely gone now and the swelling at his knee is there just a bit but nearly gone. He's putting all of his weight on his foot now and doesn't sleep all day anymore. He is still limping a bit but his gait is much smoother. He isn't in the crate all day, but when he starts to get too active we put him there to prevent any jumping and running. - since he's feeling better, his old "problem" is back. He is super rough. He bites and claws is really hard. No hissing, so I'm assuming he just plays too hard. My kids are afraid of him because it hurts a lot and it's hard to stop. Saying no, walking away, replacing your body with a toy, etc. He just keeps going. We never use our hands to play with him, he just randomly attacks us.