Kneading - normal or not?

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone,

I've posted here in the past about my boy cat Jasper. We were having a horrible time with him marking everything and everywhere. We've moved. And since then the marking has almost stopped. Almost. He marks now only when the cat across the street comes up on the porch. But that's not why I'm posting today.

Jasper is now 8 years old. He's still pretty hyper. Doesn't sleep nearly as much as any other cat I've had, and is very vocal. In the past couple of days he has started kneading. No big deal right? But as long as I've had him (almost his whole life) he's not ever done it.

This morning my husband woke me saying there was something wrong with Jasper. He was kneading, but at the same time crouched and tightened up his whole body. Paws tucked, tail stiff. I didn't rush him to the ER. Aside from it all he is acting normal. He's playing and running around. He did eat but not much. He's not hiding. And he was all stretched out on the floor.

I'm wondering about the kneading. It's so out of character for him. And I wonder if there is something wrong with him, this being a very new behavior.

Any ideas?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few questions to help get a better idea what is going on.  Has he been neutered? When was the last time he was seen by the vet? The way you describe the kneading is the way my (spayed) ladies do it. He may be telling you he is happy in his new house.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. Yes, he was neutered at about 8 months old, after he was rescued as a stray. He's now 8, and this is new behavior. He started it just a few days ago. He will also turn around and around, like he can't quite make up his mind just where he wants to lay down. He'll finally settle in. The other day I noticed his tail very stiff and "flicking". This is all just so new. I suppose you could be on to something about his new surroundings. We have been in the new place for 3 months now. He hasn't been out (in his enclosure) due to the cold weather, and there is only one cat coming around now, and he seems not to mind too much.

I am wondering if Jasper (having always been an outdoor cat and getting into fights) is finally learning to relax. Or, if there is some medical reason. He was at the vets 2 months ago. He got a vaccine he was due for at that time. Other than this new behavior he seems just fine. He plays and picks on my other cat as usual. He's eating the same food. He's actually the calmest I've ever seen him. I just worry because he's never done this before.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a very happy and content cat. It takes time for the hormones to completely clear out of a mature male after neutering. A straight up tail in a cat is a happy cat. Kneading is also a contented sign. As long as all else is same, I'd say relax and be thrilled.
and give him a treat for being such a good boy.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. He was neutered over 7 years ago though.

He's acting fine. He's very quiet today, which is a bit abnormal for him. I'll keep an eye out for anything further. Make sure he's using the litter box and such, and watch for any signs of pain. If nothing else pops up I'll consider myself lucky and him happy. :)

That would be nice. He's been through a lot. I would love to think he's content.

Thanks again!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sorry I misread that. Though it still sounds like he's pretty content and the new surroundings may be the cause. But no harm keeping an eye out for any other strange behavior that may warrant a check up.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I took Jasper in to see the vet yesterday. I just had to be sure. He's fine. The vet said he was the calmest she has ever seen him. She said he is acting like a "normal" cat, and that he is probably a lot less anxious in his new environment. She actually couldn't believe it was the same cat (having had multiple visits with him in the past). She mentioned that he does need a dental cleaning but said she was going to put that off for now. She doesn't want to "upset the apple cart" right now.

So, that was good. Very good. The vet told us that she thought we were great kitty parents for sticking it out with him through all his past issues with the spraying (omg, that was so terrible).

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm pretty happy and content myself right now as far as Jasper goes. He's still a huge pain in the butt, but nothing like he was before.