Kneading Behaviour

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

My Lillie has a rather peculiar behaviour, she is a very determined kneader. It starts off where she will be laying on me purring, getting pats and cuddles for a few minutes and then she will suddenly get up and walk over to a bathrobe (which I've given over and leave out because I can't wear it without her following me around to knead in it). From there she kneads furiously, purring away until she basically passes out from exhertion. Her brother also kneads (usually when he sees her doing it) but he gets bored of it after a moment or two.

I thought she would have bored of it by now (she's nearly 11 months old) but it's the same routine every morning. Cuddles for a time then immediately if for kneading.

I don't think the kittens were weaned too early. I took over fostering their entire litter at 12 weeks and before that they were sequestered with their mom in a room (I think their mom was a friendly barn cat). They were involved with the humane society from day one (mom was spayed after they were weaned).

Anyway? Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I've never tried to interfere as Lillie is also our more skittish cat (though she's also confident and will give her brother heck if he pushes her).

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had one cat who would knead for hours. She used to do it on my leg, but her claws hurt so i gave her a stuffed dog. She'd always knead on the toy and sometimes, she'd also have a glazed look over her eyes and drool.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Omen does the same thing but at night. She sucks too.
Omen was weaned too early though. Lillie's mom was probably really attentive and she just needs that comforting every day. it makes her happy.
I have another kneader who's mom was a lunatic.
They do it when they feel safe and content, I think it seems like Lillie is probably happy.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. It calms her or makes her happy, so as long as she is eating, using the litter box and playing, she is just fine.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who had a 'binkie' a large crocheted lap blanket she used to drag around the house. Since no harm is being done and it makes her happy, why not?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a word for the behavior, an actual word. "Smurgling." Doncha LOVE that? It refers to the kneading, the nuzzling/sucking, and the drooling that can happen, too. I call Hekitty a "second degree smurgler." She kneads and nuzzles, but doesn't drool. Some outgrow it, some don't. I'm convinced that Hekitty will outgrow it. I mean, she's only nine years old :crackup:!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Evie does this! She has these little "poof balls" (think pom-poms) that she will pick up, immediately find a soft object (a blanket, the comforter, my leg...ow) and will just go to town kneading. It's like that old Looney Tunes cartoon where the big burly bulldog "adopts" the tiny little black and white kitten and the kitten would pick up hand(paw?)fuls of the dog's skin...that's how intently she kneads. She also makes a clicking purring noise when she does it and drools sometimes.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our binkie loving cat was a bottle baby I bottle fed/cared for since we found both kittens at 10 days old. The other kitten was failing to thrive so I held down my mellowest neutered cat and she 'nursed' off him once. After that he let her 'nurse' whenever she wanted. That cat never smurgled. (He was like a stepmom to both kittens grooming them and teaching the cat stuff.) The other cat who did everything a week before her sister, wouldn't 'nurse' off of the male cat. I think part of it is a cats personality and part of it is from being separated from their mom to early.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys. It's great to hear that I'm not alone. I knew that many cats kneaded, but Lillie does it with such persistence, until she basically passes out.

I was wondering whether she did it because she gets overstimulated from all the pets and cuddles, or whether she just associates happy feelings with kneading and so runs off because she's feeling happy. If only cats could talk right :)

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Gran used to say that all cats can talk, but they don't talk unless they have something worth saying, and someone worth saying it to. Since none of my cats have ever said a word to me, it keeps me humble.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My Gran used to say that all cats can talk, but they don't talk unless they have something worth saying, and someone worth saying it to. Since none of my cats have ever said a word to me, it keeps me humble.
:spew:

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE this…our TRIBBLE at five months old is a real SMURGLER (LOL) since we brought him home he has been waiting for me to pick him up so that he could knead, drool and nuzzle me…we call it *NUMMYING* he won’t do it to my husband or on the blankets, or anything else that didn’t move like our Teddy(who past two years ago after living with us for 16 yrs) used to do…my husband thinks Tribble is acting like I’m his new Mom. I have to agree…if they aren’t hurting anything or anyone…and they are happy…what the heck why should we care. It is always so cute and endearing.

Thank You so much for this conversation…on the internet when you ask about this talent of cats…you get these answers from people who sadly don’t know much about cats or having one of them as part of your family.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You so much for this conversation…on the internet when you ask about this talent of cats…you get these answers from people who sadly don’t know much about cats or having one of them as part of your family.
Maelin Maelin - Welcome to TCS - to you and to Tribble as well! If you stick around a while, this place will knock your socks off.

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maelin Maelin - Welcome to TCS - to you and to Tribble as well! If you stick around a while, this place will knock your socks off.
Thank You for the welcome...I have been here for awhile...I just haven't been able to figure out how to make comments until recently...and I still don't know how to ask a question and start a conversation...hopefully I'll figure that out soon. I LOVE this site...I laugh and cry all the time at some of the comments. I'll be here for quite a while...we just became *HAIRBALL* parents again after 18yrs.

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maelin Maelin - Easy as pie. At the top of every Forum - directly across from the Forum name is a Post New Thread button:

View attachment 251093

Just click it and start sayin' silly things. At least, that's what I do.
LOLOLOL...Thank YOU...Thank YOU...Thank YOU...we have a sick kitten and I need some helpful suggestions. Have a FANTASTIC DAY!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maelin Maelin - Easy as pie. At the top of every Forum - directly across from the Forum name is a Post New Thread button:

View attachment 251093

Just click it and start sayin' silly things. At least, that's what I do.
Not me. I'm all serious business.
...hey did I tell you guys that a cat of ours let loose a tiny turd in a fit of excitement, and fetchy dog brought it to me?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOLOLOL...Thank YOU...Thank YOU...Thank YOU...we have a sick kitten and I need some helpful suggestions. Have a FANTASTIC DAY!!
Maelin Maelin - I have eleven cats; every day is a fantastic day.

Not me. I'm all serious business.
...hey did I tell you guys that a cat of ours let loose a tiny turd in a fit of excitement, and fetchy dog brought it to me?
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - This sounds serious.

;)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maelin Maelin - I have eleven cats; every day is a fantastic day.

1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 - This sounds serious.

;)
It was serious. Seriously gross and laughter inducing. Yet when I tell people outside of the internet world about this they look at me like they're still waiting for the punchline. :crazy:

You have 11, we have 9. According to math, we need 2 more.