KMR for weight gain in adults?

allycatsiamese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m a little concerned about my future queensâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] weight. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m fairly new to breeding so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure what to expect.

The elder of my two girls currently weighs 5 lbs, 11 oz. She has gained 12 oz in the last 2 months. She was born December 25, 2009 (almost 10 months old).

The younger of the two currently weighs 5 lbs, 6 oz. She has gained 17 oz in the last 2 months. She was born February 10, 2010 (8 months old).

Both are Siamese. They are eating Royal Canin Pro Queen, which has a very high protein (34%) and fat (23%) content. They are very active, playful cats. They just seem very small.

The queen I have that is of breeding age currently weighs 6 lbs, 8 oz, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m hoping that the younger two will reach her size. She seems so much larger than my future queens.

I was wondering if I can use KMR to increase their weight? If yes, how much should I give them daily? Will it change their stool consistency? (I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to upset their digestive systems.) Is there anything else I should know about KMR?

If not KMR, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks so much for your help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not give them KMR if they are not pregnant or nursing. IMO you can add canned food to the diet. Or use Kitten canned/dry foods for a little extra calories.

Only feed "milk" when nursing - even then, I only gave my queens canned kitten food and dry kitten food during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy thru them nursing the litter. You do not want the queen to pick up too much weight when pregnant because it could cause problems in delivery.

The kittens got KMR when weaning - not the mom.

Keep in mind that most breeding cats have a hard time maintaining weight when calling or breeding.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by allycatsiamese

Will it change their stool consistency?
When I've had mother cats and kittens in the past - and mother cats (nursing) that would do their best to sneak KMR or the KMR canned food gruel, they'd have some stool issues. Either a bit soft or get a bit constipated. KMR can cause this in kittens, too, though.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go by their condition, not weight.

Going through heat cycles they can loose condition, I don’t know many who let their girls cycle, I don’t which is so far working very well and allowed me to get a girl who started at 4 months over the 12 month mark for mating in excellent condition.

You may be better off feeding kitten RC, adding some raw a few times a week, and wet food.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been my understanding to feed kittens kitten food until they are 12 months of age. Since they are growing until this time, or beyond, they need the extra calories. Royal Canin has Baby Cat, but then after they are three months old to twelve months old, you can feed them regular RC kitten formula. That's what I do anyway.

Expecting mothers can be fed Baby Cat as well.

In any case, I would not feed an adult cat KMR unless it was absolutely necessary. A mix of good kibble and wet food should be enough. Additionally, I have noticed that "teenaged" kittens get leggy and thinnish (not emaciated) before finally filling out into their adult weight. It seems like a growth stage.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sohni - it depends on the size of your kitten - I would NEVER recommend feeding kitten food for a year with breeds like the Rexes, Orientals, Siamese or even Ocicats more then the first 4-5 months. Or you will end up with a very fat kitten/cat in a short time.

Maine Coons are usually not fed kitten food after 9 months old. I think those that go by the recommended 1 yr kitten food end up with very fat cats - have seen it many times.

This is especially important with early spay/neuter (3-4 months old) - they don't need those extra calories as they are not buring them up as fast.