Kitty's sneezing & his slightly gunky eyes. Is it a cold or allergies, and how do I treat them?

meowfrau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old kitten has been sneezing every now and again the past couple days. He also has a little eye gunk that usually accumulates over night, so I wipe his eyes every morning. Is it a cold, or could it possibly be allergies? It's prime allergy season here in NC, so I didn't know if it could affect a cat, even if he was indoors. Which do you think it could be, and what would you recommend? He doesn't seem to be sick enough to take to a vet -- no lethargy, eating normally, etc. (although I will if this continues on for a week or two.) I've been putting L-Lysine in his food. I just have no idea how to tell what it is, nor what I should do for it. As a new pet parent, I know I ask a lot of questions on this forum, but you guys are always SO helpful. I really appreciate it.

aleach210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has similar symptoms and the vet said its feline herpe virus. Rhinopneonitis. And it stays with them their whole life. But they can take vitamins to help reduce the severity of it when it flares up.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the weather is changing, it's most likely seasonal allergies.  As long as the discharge isn't green or yellow, then your kitty is fine.  Any change in color means there's something brewing and the kitty needs to get to the vet.