Kitty's Sagging Belly

msfit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my male and female kittens fixed at 6 weeks old, on September 12, 2002. They are doing fine, but their tummy sags like they just gave birth and have loose skin. It swings from side to side when they walk. They are not overweight, and are healthy. Is this loose tummy skin normal?

gurlpower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to share that my Daisy was spayed, and never got pregnant before.

She, too, has a little loose skin around her tummy and hind legs areas.

i have to edit this message to add that Daisy is not overweight either. She has never been overweight, and is very healthy and in good form.

i inquired about the loose skin before, and was told that that is the way she is built.

Smiles and Cheers!

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Peppurr got fixed, the same thing happened to him! He went from 9 pounds to 15+! His belly sways when he walks, and he is my most active cat. He runs around the house all day at full tilt. When you get your cat fixed, their metabolism lowers. That's why fixed cats get a little chubby!

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats have this, and most cats that I can think of that I have ever owned or seen, have had this. Sometimes more sometimes less, I've heard it called a "kitten pouch" on females specially if it's really big (even if she's not pregnant)

All of my animals are altered, my males have bigger ones then my female does, and none of them are over weight.

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Max has this loose skin too. I asked the Vet about it. He said many fixed cats, especially males, have this loose skin. Max is not overweight and he is very active.

harrythecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They all need tummy tucks! LOL! My two cats have this too and they aren't overweight either. However, it doesn't seem to affect their self esteem -- they are very confident cats!
Plus, Harry has long hair which covers the loose skin.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all mine have this too. Blondie's is particularly big, and sways from side to side when he runs. We laugh, which he gives us dirty looks for
None of our cats are fat, and they all get plenty of exercise!

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of mine have it too, except one, he is a naturally thin cat, the vet told me he is a perfect weight. He is about 10 years old and is an orange tabby. When we first got him we did all sorts of test on him and was worried he was so thin, but everything came back normal. All the rest have it though, except for my female and my 4 month old kitten.

jenng

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be mistaken, but I know I saw on one of the specials on Animal Planet that all cats, big and small have this "pouch". It's so when the cat hunts and eats its dinner, it has enough skin to cover that very full belly. I guess it's just something that's been inherited down to domesticated cats as well. Spike has a pouch, but his doesn't sway when he runs. He's about 9 - 9.5 pounds, and is very active. I've heard it's a misconception that cats get chubby after being fixed... I know it didn't happen with Spike at all.

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a myth that animals will get chubby after getting fixed.
I guess I was half way right, food pouch, kitten pouch, who knows

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat has it, too, and he isn't overweight. In German it is called a "Kastratenbauch", i.e. a castrated cat's belly, so I've always assumed that it's hormonal. It seems to be worse in neutered males than in spayed females.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msfit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I guess the belly flop is normal. Thanks for the input.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This topic came up on a German cat forum today. Most people answering had been told by their vets that it was caused by a weakness in the connective tissue. One woman said she read somewhere that it mainly affected black & white cats!

rock&fluff'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a pet has been fixed, he or she isn't as active (meaning, on the prowl checking out the other gender) as before the surgery. Most people mistakenly think that the spay/neuter procedure causes that little belly swag.

It actually has to do with less excerise and consuming more calories than the cat is burning. Most house cats will develop a belly swag simply because they aren't as active as cats who have to forage for food and have the run of the outdoors.
Just my opinion....