Kittys play catch with poopoo...yuck

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Rochester NY in a 2 bedroom apartment.
I just wonder if any of you have ever had cats that play with their own poo
from the litter box. I was waking up in the morining and smelling poo very strong in my room. I didn't really think too much of it because the box they poo in is clost to my room. Then througout the day I would find little hard pieces here and there. Then I woke up and they were tearing around the kitchen having a great time.Three of them were playing with one piece
while Loco was flicking another piece out of the litter box for him and Lilly to play with.
He flicked that piece of poo out of that box and they all went wild.

Needless to say, I buy them tons of little cat toys and that seems to slow the poopoo tag. But this is a fun game, and I still find it, and now I know how that litter ends up 2 feet away from the box!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ROTF Welcome to the world of kittens. Buy them $500 worth of toys, and they'll play with turds.

Maybe they need a bigger litter box, with more litter so they can bury it deeper. Sometimes out of sight, out of mind.

Also, I would suggest cleaning the litterbox of the poop as often as you possibly can so there isn't that much poop there that often for them to play with.

Hopefully after they get out of the habit, they'll stop.

How far do you have the litterbox from where they "live" right now? Maybe moving it a little farther away might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are very special cats, I only have one kitten. I am really good about the litter box. In an apartment there really isn't alot of places to put the box. Loco is the "poo flicker" and the rest just play. I wonder if that is why they all gather around the box when anyone is going Potty now. ROFLMBO The things a cat lover will put up with, and girls lets remember that a cat would never do something as icky as a dog like dine on such a thing.

sillykitty3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ROTFL!!! At least they choose a good quality dry one, fresher ones would stick to the walls.

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by amy jo

They are very special cats, I only have one kitten. I am really good about the litter box. In an apartment there really isn't alot of places to put the box. Loco is the "poo flicker" and the rest just play. I wonder if that is why they all gather around the box when anyone is going Potty now. ROFLMBO The things a cat lover will put up with, and girls lets remember that a cat would never do something as icky as a dog like dine on such a thing.
No, of course not. Cats would never lower themselves to act like a dog and eat their poop. That's why they do the classy, elegant thing and only eat their own vomit.

LOL

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's common a lot of kittens do this. To them EVERYTHING is a toy!

I did read somewhere though that if you haven't been playing a lot with them then a kitten will look to the poo to play with. It's a sign that they may be bored.

either case though they'll outgrow it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This must mean that my kittys are immature, that wouldn't be so hard to believe. Everyone says I spoil them rotten. All kidding aside, since I have been buying them toys they don't do that so often. But I never had any of my cats as a kid or as a teen do this so I was curious. With it being so gross, I had to make it funny or it would have been just too gross. Thanks for your input.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"That's why they do the classy, elegant thing and only eat their own vomit."

Back home one of the cats eats all the cats vomit- his own or not. Gross, huh? At least he doesn't eat poo, though.

I can just see all your cats scampering around playing hockey with a littery poo. Its hilarious.
They don't carry it about in their mouths like prey do they?