Kitty's Breathing Rate

rbianchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and happy holidays. I've had my baby for about 2 and a half years. She's always been a pretty fast breather but sometimes I wonder if she breathes too fast. Idk if she is just sniffing and it appears that she is breathing fast or what. I haven't monitored it when she is sleeping but it's probably about 40 breaths per minute then she is calm and awake which is a little high. Other than that she doesn't exhibit any other symptoms of distress. She eats 1/2 a cup of dry food and 1/4 can of wet food everyday and poops once a day and is playful. Nose is cold and wet. Like I said nothing else abnormal. That's just how she has always breathed. I'm just wondering if I have something to worry about.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it's something she's always done I don't know if it's anything to worry about. My cat got a respiratory infection once and was breathing real fast but it was an obvious change. I timed his breathing with mine once while he was relaxed but not asleep. Basically just lying down and relaxed. It seemed he took about 2 breathes to my 1. Maybe just slightly faster. So when I inhaled he inhaled and exhaled. When I exhaled he inhaled and exhaled. I sure breathing varies from person to person and cat to cat but you could try that and see if it's any where close. Cats do breath faster when they purr.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cat should inhale and exhale between 25 and 30 times a minute and 20 to 25 when asleep. One of my cats breaths 34 to 40 times and 28 to 30 when asleep. Like you I used to worry but she has no symptoms of illness and appears comfortable so I dont worry now. As sabian sabian wrote, breathing rates can vary. If you are still concerned, phone or take her to your vet to have her checked out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rbianchi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies. I took my baby to the vet today for a check up. She got a clean bill of health! Well she could stand to lose a pound or two but can't we all. I'll continue to monitor her breathing but I am definitely more at ease.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your welcome! Glad to hear she checked out ok. I think we all tend to fatten up our fur babies even if just a little bit.:lol: