Kitty With Low Self Esteem

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 6 year old female cat (used to have two, but my older cat died in Dec 2019).
I feel this cat has low self esteem and is lonely and it doesn't help that we work all day and she's home alone. Tried adding another kitten who was 5 months old when we got her. The resident cat was hissing and angry for the 4 weeks we had the kitten. We were able to give the kitten back to the shelter.
I'm at a lost of what to do for my cat. How can I build her self esteem up? I've wondered about trying a smaller kitten as a 2nd cat (I think the first one was too big for her and she was scared). She is the sweetest cat and I want her to be happy.
Any suggestions!? How do you build self-esteem in a cat?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what makes you think your cat has low self esteem?they're like people all are different personality wise some timid,confident,passive,agressive same as people

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very hard. Coco came around on her own. It took a year. Now she's a lap cat and loves to be brushed. Cats sleep while your gone then get up to eat. Play with her first. Lots of tlc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what makes you think your cat has low self esteem?they're like people all are different personality wise some timid,confident,passive,agressive same as people
I think losing her older brother is part of it, I think she feels alone when we are gone, sometimes she won't look us in the eye, she's very sweet and doesn't want to bother us. It's just sort of a feeling I have just knowing her.

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is very hard. Coco came around on her own. It took a year. Now she's a lap cat and loves to be brushed. Cats sleep while your gone then get up to eat. Play with her first. Lots of tlc.
Thank you for these ideas!

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just misses you a lot? Just give her plenty of distractions and when you can, spend time with her. If she is feeling lonely, there is ways to help her with that. There are heartbeat toys, calming recordings for cats and maybe you could even record some of your voice for her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she is grieving the loss of your other kitty. I would be patient with her, shower her with lots of love, talk to her and tell her you understand and that it's okay for her to be sad. (Sounds weird, but I think it helps.) You can play soothing music for her while you're gone. Get some interactive toys and play with her to build up the bond you have with her.

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just misses you a lot? Just give her plenty of distractions and when you can, spend time with her. If she is feeling lonely, there is ways to help her with that. There are heartbeat toys, calming recordings for cats and maybe you could even record some of your voice for her.
Thank you! I did just buy a heartbeat toy, but she's not interested in it. I've also thought about a pet cam where we can talk to her during the day.

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she is grieving the loss of your other kitty. I would be patient with her, shower her with lots of love, talk to her and tell her you understand and that it's okay for her to be sad. (Sounds weird, but I think it helps.) You can play soothing music for her while you're gone. Get some interactive toys and play with her to build up the bond you have with her.
Love these ideas, thank you!

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I did just buy a heartbeat toy, but she's not interested in it. I've also thought about a pet cam where we can talk to her during the day.
The camera is a good idea, i have one watching my cat because I get so worried about her. My kitty actually is suffering from separation anxiety right now. I make sure to play with her and love on her as much as I can. I hope you find something that helps her out. Also someone else mentioned the loss of the other cat may be a factor and I agree. My cat hates other cats, and most other dogs.. but she made an exception for our senior dog and doesn't mind him at all. Good luck!!

bronty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The camera is a good idea, i have one watching my cat because I get so worried about her. My kitty actually is suffering from separation anxiety right now. I make sure to play with her and love on her as much as I can. I hope you find something that helps her out. Also someone else mentioned the loss of the other cat may be a factor and I agree. My cat hates other cats, and most other dogs.. but she made an exception for our senior dog and doesn't mind him at all. Good luck!!
Thank you!