Kitty UTI + Anxiety = Human Going Crazy

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At lot has happened in the last few months and I kept thinking I should post on here for some advice, but was either busy or just too stressed to type it out. This post will probably be pretty long, sorry.
So . . . A few months ago Salem, my 2 year old, peed in her play cubes. It was the first time she had ever gone outside the box before. She just wasn't acting right even before that, but I really couldn't pin down anything specific. You know what I mean? I know my little one and something was up. So, when she peed in her cubes, I called the vet the next day and made an appointment. But, due to the virus, we had to wait almost two weeks. During that time, she did not pee outside the box again, but started to lick her bottom excessively. I wiped her and she just screamed.😨 The wipe was covered in black . . . something. I don't know if it was blood or feces or what. It was hard for me to get a good look at her genitals as Salem was so upset and she is very hairy. What I did finally see was a very red, crusty and inflamed vulva. (TMI Sorry) I immediately gave her a butt bath. I just filled the tub with an inch of water and sat her in it. I did not use any soap for fear of making things worse. I then went online and ordered a Chlorhexidine spray. I sprayed her bottom twice a day for about a week (Up until the vet appointment) and it helped a lot. I also ordered Homeopet Feline UTI drops and started her on those. When we finally got to the vet, they confirmed a UTI based off of Salem's symptoms. Salem would not give the vet a urine sample to confirm. The vet also diagnosed a tapeworm infestation which surprised me as Salem went though all the necessary deworming as a kitten and I saw no signs of it. The vet gave Salem an antibiotic injection and the first dose of dewormer. She also sent Salem home with another dose of dewormer to be given in ten days and a two week supply of Baytril (Antibiotic) to be given twice a day. The vet also said to continue the Homeopet UTI drops. Salem was fairly easy to pill in the beginning. But by the 12th day, I could not get the Baytril into her. I called the vet and they said it was fine that she skips the last 4 doses as long as she was acting ok which she was. A few days later, Salem peed on my bed. I called the vet again and the vet said to just keep up with the Homeopet UTI supplement and to wait and see how she does for a few days. Everything seemed to get better for a few days. Then, Salem went from being a little anxious to having what could be best described as full blow panic attacks. Salem has always had a problem with anxiety and I think the UTI, the vet visit and the regular forced medicating just pushed it to a crisis level. So, I started her on Homeopet Feline Anxiety Relief drops and later hemp oil with the vet's approval. I have never been one to put too much stock in homeopathic remedies, but I have to say, these supplements have made a big difference. I overslept and missed a dose a few weeks ago and Salem had a screaming, pacing, panting meltdown. So, at the moment Salem gets 5 drops of the Homeopet UTI and 5 drops of the Homeopet Anxiety Relief mixed with a few drops of water once a day and she gets 0.3 ml of hemp oil every other day. I use an oral syringe to give them to her as Salem won't eat wet food. Has anyone here had any experience with chronic anxiety and the behavioral problems that comes with it?
Now to today and the main reason why I am posting today. Salem peed on my bed again. :sigh: I don't know why and did not expect it. She had been doing so much better. It has probably been a month and a half since she peed on the bed the first time. She has been using the litterbox like clockwork and her anxiety was not an issue today either. She was acting normal and then just decided to let loose on my bed. Since the first incident, I have been putting an upside down carpet runner on my bed when I am not using it to keep Salem off of it. I feel horrible about the idea of her jumping up onto the spikes😖, but to my knowledge she has not done it yet. I think the fact that it is different and strange has been enough to keep her off. I also leave enough of the runner hanging off the edge so Salem can clearly see it when she looks up. I did test the runner by slamming my hand on it as hard as I could and it did not break the skin, but still. Do you think using a carpet runner as a deterrent is cruel? I don't know what else to do. I am planning on getting a plastic shower curtain to throw over the bed too, but I am worried that Salem would actually be attracted to it as she has a fascination with crinkly plastic. She might even chew on the edges. Any advice on how to stop Salem from peeing on my bed? I am still trying to figure out what was the cause of today's (and last time's) bed episode. Could this be a behavioral issue triggered by the UTI? If so, what can I do that I am not already doing? I don't think she was marking as she peed a full bladder's worth the first time and probably would have today too if I had not interrupted her. I am also wondering if maybe she still has some physical reason for peeing on the bed. The vet did not seem too concerned when I called about the first time. I can't take her back to the vet at the moment anyways though and I don't know if it would even make a difference. The vet already did what she could without Salem giving a fresh urine sample. At this point, I have exhausted myself trying to deal with Salem and I am at a loss as to what to do now.😫 Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food are you feeding her and how many times a day? Is she overweight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What food are you feeding her and how many times a day? Is she overweight?
Salem gets 2/3 Cup of Crave Adult Chicken Dry Cat Food once a day. It is the only thing she will eat and yes she is overweight. I have been working on both getting her onto a better food and losing weight with very little success. She is a kibble addict and so picky about what she eats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may still have the UTI. My boy recently had one, and the first antibiotic, didn't touch it, even though I managed to get it in him for the full two weeks. So when we went in for the follow up and discovered it was still there, I asked them to run a culture and sure enough, whatever he had could only be resolved with a specific antibiotic. We gave that one for another 14 days and voila! NOW it's gone.

Her peeing on the bed may not be anything but her trying to tell you she still doesn't feel well. I would never punish a cat for going potty outside the box. They don't understand that type of thing. Did you clean that bed with enzymatic cleaner. If not, she may be drawn back to it over and over again. Simply throwing anything with cat urine on it in the washer will NOT get rid of the smell to a cat.

As to her not giving the Vet a urine sample, Vets normally TAKE it from the cat via a needle right into their bladder. That being said, if you could gather up a sample (put something under her while she's peeing, even a long spoon to get a little bit, you could take it in.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may still have the UTI. My boy recently had one, and the first antibiotic, didn't touch it, even though I managed to get it in him for the full two weeks. So when we went in for the follow up and discovered it was still there, I asked them to run a culture and sure enough, whatever he had could only be resolved with a specific antibiotic. We gave that one for another 14 days and voila! NOW it's gone.

Her peeing on the bed may not be anything but her trying to tell you she still doesn't feel well. I would never punish a cat for going potty outside the box. They don't understand that type of thing. Did you clean that bed with enzymatic cleaner. If not, she may be drawn back to it over and over again. Simply throwing anything with cat urine on it in the washer will NOT get rid of the smell to a cat.

As to her not giving the Vet a urine sample, Vets normally TAKE it from the cat via a needle right into their bladder. That being said, if you could gather up a sample (put something under her while she's peeing, even a long spoon to get a little bit, you could take it in.
No, I would never punish Salem or any other cat for peeing outside the litter box! I know it is a sign that something is not right. There is no point in getting mad. I just take a breath and get on with cleaning it up. Yes, I used an enzymatic cleaner both times she peed on the bed.
I have heard of vets taking the urine sample that way before, but I don't think the low income clinic that I go to would do that. I might try the long spoon trick though. Thank you.

Linah4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to get another opinion from a different vet in your area? I know where I live, a lot of veterinarians are willing to talk over the phone before actually going in and paying for an exam. Full bloodwork should have been taken if it wasn't, to determine any other underlying health issues.

That all being said, my sister is dealing with the same issue with both of her male Savannah cats. She refused to believe there was anything wrong, and her vet ran blood tests and there was no indication of a UTI or anything else wrong so he said it was anxiety. He recommended Feliway which she tried with no luck, although I have heard that Feliway works wonders! The last treatment he gave her is Prozac/Fluoxetine, we're still waiting to see if it's working. I've been suggesting she get another opinion as well from a different vet but she won't.

Maybe, you can talk to your vet about Feliway and the prozac as solutions? Something else I would consider looking at is how many litter boxes you have in the house, do they need to be moved to new locations and are they always clean enough for her. Your baby is telling you something.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Salem has two XL litter boxes, one in each room of our tiny apartment. I am not sure of the dimensions of the boxes, but they can each comfortably hold 40lbs of litter. I clean them at least once a day. It is a great way to keep track of how much and how often she is peeing. Plus, since I am disabled, I am home with her all day, so keeping the boxes clean is not an issue. I already use Feliway. Though I only have the hand spray to use as needed as the diffuser is just too expensive for me. It seems to help a little. Yeah, I have been wondering for a while if a medication like Fluoxetine will be necessary for Salem. I mentioned it to our vet, but she is hesitant about behavioral mediations and wants me to keep using the homeopathic stuff for now. I do agree with you that I need a second opinion. I have already called around my area and when asked direct questions, all the vet clinics have refused to discuss anything without seeing Salem. I can't afford those clinics anyways. I also agree with you that Salem should have had blood work done. I asked about it when I took her in for the UTI and the vet said she did not feel it was necessary. I disagreed, but unfortunately am at the mercy of this clinic as it is the only one that I can afford. I might just have to be a little more forceful with this vet about additional testing and if everything comes up clear, medication trials. I know every cat will react differently, but has you sister's cat had any significant side effects from the fluoxetine?

Linah4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Salem has two XL litter boxes, one in each room of our tiny apartment. I am not sure of the dimensions of the boxes, but they can each comfortably hold 40lbs of litter. I clean them at least once a day. It is a great way to keep track of how much and how often she is peeing. Plus, since I am disabled, I am home with her all day, so keeping the boxes clean is not an issue. I already use Feliway. Though I only have the hand spray to use as needed as the diffuser is just too expensive for me. It seems to help a little. Yeah, I have been wondering for a while if a medication like Fluoxetine will be necessary for Salem. I mentioned it to our vet, but she is hesitant about behavioral mediations and wants me to keep using the homeopathic stuff for now. I do agree with you that I need a second opinion. I have already called around my area and when asked direct questions, all the vet clinics have refused to discuss anything without seeing Salem. I can't afford those clinics anyways. I also agree with you that Salem should have had blood work done. I asked about it when I took her in for the UTI and the vet said she did not feel it was necessary. I disagreed, but unfortunately am at the mercy of this clinic as it is the only one that I can afford. I might just have to be a little more forceful with this vet about additional testing and if everything comes up clear, medication trials. I know every cat will react differently, but has you sister's cat had any significant side effects from the fluoxetine?
No significant side effects, but she did mention that she stopped giving it to them (bad move if not advised by the vet!) and started up again today. I would definitely be more forceful about the blood work. I had to really push chest xrays on my vet as she didn't think it was necessary because everything sounded fine... then when she finally did them it wasn't good. Have you looked at mobile vets? My local mobile vets are very affordable and some even cheaper than the clinic/hospital.

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for their advice. It has given me a lot to think about.

Salem.JPG

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OMG, what a sweetie :loveeyes: (I'm a little partial to black cats, and Salem looks almost identical to my problem child, Tinky)