Kitty That Throws Up Weekly Started Licking Walls

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1.3yo has been throwing up about once a week since last August. It is within minutes of eating and the food comes back completely undigested just as it went in. There have been a few weeks when he would throw up a few times within a week, and he has gone 2 weeks a few times without throwing up. He does eat much faster than his brother, and just a more anxious cat. I feed them 1 can of wet food 4 x a day. No dry food. He was on blue buffalo chicken kitten when this started. Switched to wellness kitten chicken. Since then tried Instinct LID rabbit, duck, turkey, Feline Naturals Chicken and Venison, Almo shredded chicken and carrots, Almo shredded chicken and duck, Rawz shredded chicken and duck. He threw up from all different foods, so don't think it is food allergy. I also give 5-6 greenies a day. I just ordered a raised feeding bowl to try if it would help. 3 weeks ago he started licking walls, mostly at night. I googled and concerned about it being something serious, and not just behavioral. Saw a vet 2 weeks ago for an annual check up. She wasn't concerned about it being anything serious since he looks healthy and acts normal otherwise. She suggested 1/4 pill of pepcid in the morning. We just started a few days ago, but he threw up anyway and has been licking the wall a bit. I also noticed he has been licking his lips the past 2 days. Any advice? I'm worried about him being ok!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did your Vet do bloodwork? Sometimes cats will lick tile, rocks, bricks, pottery, that sort of thing with they are anemic. I don't know what your walls are made of, but it's probably not something ike the aforementioned items. BUT, if they are painted and they were painted a long time ago, I supposed there could be lead in the paint, which would definitely be of concern.

As to the throwing up within just a few minutes of eating, that sounds like it's actually regurgitation, which is from either eating too much or too fast. I have one cat who does this and it's because he thinks he's a Hoover. To try to put a stop to it, I give him smaller meals. He also has a raised dish, which has helped, But I cannot give him too much at any one time or it comes right back up. So if he normally gets a 3 oz can for his meal, I will only give him 2/3 of that can the first go round, and then maybe 1/2 hour later I will give him the rest of it. There are also "eat slow" food dishes like this one:

that you can use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet did not do bloodwork on the last visit. She said that she is not concerned enough to do it now. He had it done in November before his neuter, and everything was fine except for elevated ALP levels, which said said happens in kittens. He was already throwing up then on weekly basis.
Our walls are painted, but are non toxic as we renovated our whole apartment 6 yrs ago and used Benjamin Moore.
I also call him a Hoover! I give him spoonful at a time and press it down to slow him down. But there are times when he just exhales it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of food are you feeding? Anything with fish or chicken? I had a cat would would throw up any kind of wet food with fish in it. Just thinking that if you could try a single protein like turkey, venison, or duck it might help to rule out chicken or fish allergy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilysam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Instinct LID rabbit, duck, turkey, Feline Naturals Chicken and Venison, Almo shredded chicken and carrots, Almo shredded chicken and duck, Rawz shredded chicken and duck. He thrown up from all of the above at one time or the other. No fish, but some of these have fish oil.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lip licking is a sign of nausea in cats. I wonder if you could ask your vet to give you a few tablets of cerenia (an antiemetic) to try. Cerenia injection would be better, but not everyone knows how to give it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age my cat started throwing up once a week. I tried a variety of foods, slowly adding them in, fed numerous times a day,only canned. Now she has not thrown up in a long time and can eat 4 1/2 oz instead of 3. Sometimes more. Her food is one meat,no allergens at all,low carb, and I give her a probiotic. I think it's the food that stopped her from making a mess 4x a week. What a relief!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed her on a big almost flat round whisker free bowl so I can spread the food out

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I hate when a vet doesn't take vomitting seriously. I read a vet saying once if your vet doesn't examine and treat vomitting in a cat, change the vet. Because throwing up is always a sign of a problem. It might be common, but not healthy.

Personally I suspect of food intolerance and/or something like acid reflux or gastritis. All are fairly common. Sounds like it's more regurgitation than vomitting and the only time my cat regurgitates her food is if she doesn't like the food or if she's intolerant to it.

I suggest trying foods for sensitive digestive system. Like

Digest Sensitive Pouch Cat Food - Royal Canin

Hill's® Science Diet® Sensitive Stomach & Skin Chicken & Vegetable Entrée Cat Food

And something with a very simple formula: Chicken | Naturea

If nothing helps he might need prescription food.