Kitty Stockings?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have stockings for your cats? Where do you hang them?

We have kitty stockings for all of our furkids. They're hung with our stockings along the railing at the stairs. We need to buy a stocking for Mollipop, but I haven't seen anything yet that I really like.

We usually fill their stockings with a few cans of Fancy Feast, a bag of treats for each furkid, and some toys. They each get a new catnip pillow, too, but I have to hide those in the bedroom closet because the smell attracts them. The first year I bought them catnip pillows BooBoo tore their stockings right off the wire, he wanted that catnip so badly!

Do your furkids have Christmas stockings?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do have a small decorative stocking for each kitty. They're really too small to hold anything, more for the 'cute-factor' than anything. I hang them from a shelf in the living room.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not this year. Next year though I plan on making all of us stockings. I would try and get them done this year but Im on a yarn shopping halt till I deplete my stash which means getting my works in progress done. I am 'contracted' to make 4 stockings for this Christmas (asked 2 weeks ago and Im still waiting for the darn yarn) one of the stockings is for a kitty and as long as I can figure it out the names will all be stitched into the topper.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our stockings are hung from the knobs on our china closet, and Jamie's is right in the middle. Usually his is filled with human gourmet goodies like canned salmon and crabmeat. Miezi gets her gifts, which include valerian pillows, at our neighbor's, and doesn't have a stocking, since it's not a German custom to hang up stockings.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not gotten any stockings yet this year but I have been thinking about it Pixie does have a present wrapped which is her favorite treats I would get her canned food but she doesn't like it so it would defeat the purpose. I am debating getting my dad's dog a bag of her fav treats for Christmas and one for my old outside dog Lady and a bone for my boxer Macy. But I figure I will let my niece and nephew open the presents and give them to Pixie and Tiny.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't really hang stockings anymore. When I was little we hung them on the door. We did do stockings once for
Lynxx
. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm going to get stockings for Luna and Midnight. It's their first Christmas, even though I'm not in the holiday mood. I still want their first Christmas to be special, like
Lynxx's
was.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stockings! I always forget about stockings! My mom and I and cats and turtle always had stockings up, and if we had someone else over like my grandma a few years, she had one, but since I moved to CA, BF and I haven't had stockings. I always forget. And well, I guess I am reminded now and could go get some, but I probably will forget again anyway. If we did have stockings though, Genever would definitely have one too. One of these years..

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitties have a leopard print stocking, with an area in the front to put a picture. I need to get a picture of the three of them printed. Its laying under the tree right now, but has nothing in it yet. Because if it did, those sneaky darksiders would already be into everything.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we have stocking for each of the furkids, and when we hang them, we also hang them from the railings of the stairs, even though we do have a mantle...it's just that then they are hanging too low and the cats will pull them down. I must admit, though, that we don't always hang them, because we dont' usually decorate inside. And when I buy them something, I just give it to them right away (like they know the difference
)

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my pets have stockings (and I've even made stockings for my roommate's two dogs and for her cats as well), but neither my roommate nor myself have stockings of our own. This year, at work, since we're participating in Secret Santa, all employees will have stockings. But, here at home, only the fur kids have stockings of their own. Irony is rich

The dogs have stockings in the shape of bones. The kitties have stockings in the shape of paws. And, all of the other critters (my cockatiel, my gerbils, and my wee hamster) have tiny stockings. But, no matter the size or type of stocking, I have written the pet's name along the top in red, green, silver, or blue glitter. I take a lot of pride in their stockings and made sure to make them just so -- especially since they're all hung up in the front room above the sofa and on either side of the picture window. We don't decorate much for the holidays since the animals would have a field day with our decorations and so the stockings are a main staple of the holidays. I think my perfectionism has rubbed off on the furry ones as even they have learned to leave the stockings alone. But, then again, that may change once they start to get filled with Christmas goodies!

This was a cute thread idea. I like reading about what others do for their pets around the holidays. I wish I had some photos to share, but I'll have to see if I can get some over the next week or two. And, maybe some others will post pics of their set-ups as well. Since I don't have children yet, it's fun to live vicariously through the fur kids during the Christmas

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Up the staircase
Um will you come decorate my house for me?? Yours is so pretty I even have a plan for the kitties, Rosie can sing Christmas Carols, Jack can watch tv with me and Sophie can share the window seat with Hercules...I think he would love her dainty paws......

BF and I were talking about decorating for next year since this year and most of next year is going to be spent remodeling the house. We just found out that the landlords will reimburse us for what we have to pay out of pocket remodeling wise which includes the kitchen window and the carpeting to make the 2 small rooms one big room. Next year though we are going to do lights outside, my bookshelf will be decorated with fake green stuff and red flowers, we are going to hang all the stockings on the wall where the fire place is, cuz you know Santa comes down the chimney
. Our Christmas tree is gonna get REAL decorations and in the summer Im going to make all the other stuff for around the house. I have some really nice holiday patterns for garland, tree decorations, snow flakes, snowmen, even reindeer ears for Franklin!!!!!!!!!! Now we just gotta get the remodeling done so I can actually decorate for the holidays like I want to.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Um will you come decorate my house for me?? Yours is so pretty I even have a plan for the kitties, Rosie can sing Christmas Carols, Jack can watch tv with me and Sophie can share the window seat with Hercules...I think he would love her dainty paws......
I would say Sophie would be straight on your lap the moment you sat down. I haven't adjusted myself to how i want to sit when she's up adopting a position on my lap

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Susan, I love your stockings at the staircase! I love your stockings! Beautiful!

We hang out from the straight railing along the living room, right before you go downstairs to the front door....it's a bi-level. I'll take some pictures after Mollipop's stocking gets here and we can finish decorating the railing.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

We hang out from the straight railing along the living room, right before you go downstairs to the front door....it's a bi-level. I'll take some pictures after Mollipop's stocking gets here and we can finish decorating the railing.
Oh i never thought of putting them there?!. The only problem is my straight rail is on the hallway at the top of the stairs so no one would see them, plus i don't trust Jack!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
The cats can walk right by them when they're behind the couch on the floor and they don't bother them. Well, we're not sure what Mollipop is going to do to them though. I guess we'll be finding out.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I would say Sophie would be straight on your lap the moment you sat down. I haven't adjusted myself to how i want to sit when she's up adopting a position on my lap
That's ok I bet Sophie would make a perfect nap time kitty, none of my kitties lay down with me they all pile in their respective spots along the back of the couch. My poor fleece blanket is all covered in white fur from Hercules having only one spot he will sleep in lol. Sophie is more than welcome to come over to my house and steal a lap, you'd think with 4 cats id have one lap monster but I'm sadly lacking one.

Originally Posted by Winchester

The cats can walk right by them when they're behind the couch on the floor and they don't bother them. Well, we're not sure what Mollipop is going to do to them though. I guess we'll be finding out.
Lol if Mollipop is anything like Queen Jungle Butt she will probably try and climb inside the stocking lol.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's ok I bet Sophie would make a perfect nap time kitty, none of my kitties lay down with me
Awwww do they?!. You can definitely count on Sophie, and Rosie and Jack for that matter, but Sophie is always the first one up.

I usually have Jack on my tummy, Sophie on my lap, and Rosie on my legs, and they weigh a tonne!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Lol if Mollipop is anything like Queen Jungle Butt she will probably try and climb inside the stocking lol.
I hope she does! And I hope I have the camera ready!

BTW, I love that nickname, Queen Jungle Butt!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol someday id like to remember to record Gigi in the tree making her noises that earned her that nickname. All my cats trill and chirp but she takes it to a whole new level. It actually reminds me of the movie Secondhand Lions when they get the reitred lion and she gets loose in the cornfield. That is GiGi when the Christmas Tree goes up lol. She goes crazy making her wild jungle calls

Mollipop can be Princess Jungle Butt lol Gigi is ok with sharing the title especially with a kitty who only lives across the river.

Rosiemac- that sounds like a very comfy and snuggly kitty blanket you have. The best I get is Bacon and Gigi sneaking up in bed in the middle of the night and sandwiching themselves in the middle of me and bf trying to steal his body heat lol. Franklin will sleep with me if I let him but he goes from 15lbs at night to 150lbs and steals my pillow and blankets.