Kitty Still Peeing, Don't Know Why...help?

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I posted a while ago about a new 'stray' that ended up in our lives. He had a nasty bout of coccidia that he was quarantined for and was treated- he's now healthy and growing like a weed.

Well, several days after he arrived one of our other kitties, Ludatsi (british shorthair) started peeing out of the litter box. This also coincided with us watching our friend's dog for the weekend while they were out of town (Lulu knows this dog and has been around her several times). She doesn't do it every time she goes but she does it about once a day, generally always in a different spot though the last couple of times she's taken to doing it in the upstairs hall by the washing machines. More than once, she's actually done it while we're standing right there, just brazen as can be. Then, just this morning while I was standing there she actually *sprayed* the laundry basket- prior to this she just peed in a big puddle, this is the first actual spraying.

We're planning on taking her BACK in to the vet just to make sure there's nothing healthwise going on (she has had bladder infections in the past but this does not seem to be one), and to see what they suggest. Quick update of details:

She's a british shorthair but she's unusually small for the breed- about seven pounds.
She's one of now five cats, three males and another female, all fixed.
She's about two years old now, been fixed since she was about six months old. Never ever sprayed before.
She's had a few bladder infections, I think three all told. She's on a special bladder/kidney dry food as well as a can of wet per day.
She does not act otherwise anxious or territorial. She is a bit 'shyer' than the other cats, would rather watch than join in, but she does play with them and has been playing with the newbie.
She poops and otherwise pees in the litter boxes, it's just about once per day, usually first thing in the morning or last thing at night, that she goes outside the box.
We clean the urine up thoroughly each time with an enzymatic cleaner (at least my wife does, apparently I'm incredibly allergic to it so I stay on the other floor of the house for ten minutes or so until it's done).
We have a feliways plug in and are using a feliways spray. Doesn't seem to matter although it does seem to have kept her from going on the couch again (we keep that covered with the spray).
We have six litter boxes and have tried several types of litter in case she didn't like the litter. Right now we're on Cat Attract but it doesn't seem to have made the slightest difference. The boxes are easily accessible and we have put at least two in the areas she seems to go in more frequently. Doesn't seem to help- we've seen her hop in and use them (to much praise) and also pee a foot or two away from them without even giving them a look. She once peed exactly equidistant from two of the boxes.
The boxes are kept daily scooped and cleaned.
We took the tops off the covered boxes in case she was feeling trapped- no difference.
We've done our best to make sure she has 'her own places' and hidey holes as much as we can, and we are careful to make sure she's still getting her one on one time.

Given this latest bout of spraying I'm thinking it really is a territorial type thing- this house is really too small for five cats, a dog and the two of us. But we are in the works to build our next house (we should be buying the plot of land by end of next year and starting construction) and it will be much bigger with plenty of cat spaces and a cat atrium.
Rehoming any of the cats is not an option on the table, but neither do we want her stressed out (or damaging things all over the house with peeing, or getting the others to start doing it too).

ANY thoughts at all as to what else we can try or can be doing?

Other kitties in the house:

Ripley, a four year old black moggie rescue kitty. She's a little bit high strung and has never seemed to learn to 'cat' properly (she was found undernourished and unsocialized on the street at about ten weeks old, we got her from the rescue shortly after that).

Bishop, a three year old chocolate british shorthair- laid back to the point of lazy, very sweet and bomb proof.

Finnegan, an apricot point meezer, also a rescue kitty, one year old. Very affectionate, never met someone he didn't like. Can be a bit overly playful but he's settling down quite a bit. Adopted Domino pretty much instantly and they are total best buds.

Domino, the little stray newcomer, now about five months old (vet guessed his birthday right around the start of June). Tuxedo moggie, very much a kitten, all over the place but very affectionate. Plays with Lulu and the others when they'll play, respects their space when they want to be left alone. He was adopted pretty much instantly by Finnegan.

Ripley can get it in her head every once in a while that she wants to 'play' with Lulu but since she never really learned properly her idea of play is a bit bullying. She doesn't do it often, and we intervene when she does. This has not increased since the peeing started- if anything, it has decreased a bit as Ripley is distracted with the new kitty. But it still does happen.

ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly welcome. Thank you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned you provided hiding/safe places for her, but what about adding more square footage to the house (cat square footage, vertically) by putting up staggered shelving, a cat highway of sorts in all the rooms she likes to hang out in.
Cats feel more confident when they are up high, so they can observe their surroundings. And by creating more territory in the house she may not feel as stressed about sharing.
I would also recommend one on one play time with her a few times a day (and try to make it the same times everyday, cats like routine) with a favorite wand toy. Get her all riled up with it and have her case it around. This is also a good way to introduce her the high shelving (if you choose to do this) by making it "fly" up the shelves. And when play time is done give her a snack or treat. By creating her normal cat instincts of hunt, catch and eat, you are really giving her a cat confidence boost.
You've tried so many things so far, and I applaud your commitment and patience. I hope something works. If I think of something else, I'll come back.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
How much household activity is happening at those two times? I'm assuming a lot?
I also think she may need some extra attention, extra playtime and extra luvins especially at those times. If you can, designate someone (maybe alternate people if that helps) to be Lulu's special friend during those times:)
Let us know how this goes :vibes::crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yowz - you do have a lot going on!! You said Ludatsi is more of a watcher of play than a partaker? But, does she have 'buddy time with one or more of the other cats - not necessarily playing, but just hanging out? If there was one in the bunch that she got along the best with that is now leaning more toward giving the new kitty attention, she could be reacting to that (kind of like cat jealousy). If so, then the above suggestions about giving her more of your time to replace the loss of the attention she got from her 'old buddy' might be the solution.

In the meantime, having the vet check her out is a good idea - sometimes UTIs don't always show up with a lot of symptoms until they become more severe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You mentioned you provided hiding/safe places for her, but what about adding more square footage to the house (cat square footage, vertically) by putting up staggered shelving, a cat highway of sorts in all the rooms she likes to hang out in.
We possibly can in the cat room- there are tall cat trees and stuff in there but no shelving. We were planning on totally Jackson Galaxying the new house up as we build it, with towers and runways and walkways and steps and such going all over the walls and through the house so I know what you mean. However with the exception of the cat room itself there's really nowhere to do it in the rest of the house, with tall furniture and cabinets all over the place (and she's never shown any interest in going on top of the cabinets though technically she has access). You did give me a thought though. We have a guest room that is closed off to them- we use it mainly for storage and stuff, but it shouldn't take too much to organize it and get it cleaned, and if we cover the bed with plastic (just so she doesn't pee on the bed) we can move the hallway and bathroom litter boxes in there and give the cats an additional bedroom/bathroom worth of space (and make it so we're not tripping over litter boxes in the upstairs hallway).

I would also recommend one on one play time with her a few times a day (and try to make it the same times everyday, cats like routine) with a favorite wand toy. Get her all riled up with it and have her case it around. This is also a good way to introduce her the high shelving (if you choose to do this) by making it "fly" up the shelves. And when play time is done give her a snack or treat. By creating her normal cat instincts of hunt, catch and eat, you are really giving her a cat confidence boost.
We will give this a shot as well :)

How much household activity is happening at those two times? I'm assuming a lot?
Actually no, quite the opposite. In the morning I get up and get dressed but my wife stays in bed for a while then comes down and has a cup of coffee and I head off to work. The most activity that really happens is my scooping the litter boxes before I head to work, other than Dom's occasional zoomies it's pretty quiet. Same in the evening. I go and read in bed while my wife goes and showers, Dom is shut away with his evening feed (we don't trust him yet loose during the night, he's teething and still learning what can and cannot be chewed on) and the kitties are usually piled in bed with me winding down. It's the two quietest parts of the day. Rest of the day wife is home doing schoolwork and stuff and the kitties are all running loose, Dom and Finn are playing around and the TV is going and it's a lot more hectic.

But, does she have 'buddy time with one or more of the other cats - not necessarily playing, but just hanging out?
Not really, no. She most tolerates Bishop because he's quiet and lazy. She occasionally plays with all the different siblings but for the most part she's content just doing her own thing. She's downstairs with everyone through the day, dozing on the couch with them or playing with toys or what have you, but there's no particular one of them that I would say she's fond of particularly, or that is her 'buddy'. Honestly, she plays more with DOMINO than any of the others, even if that is only occasionally. She's definitely my wife's cat, however, so maybe a bit of jealousy there when my wife pays attention to one of the others? My wife does her best every day to make sure everyone gets one on one time and she does focus on Lulu with cuddles. She's going to try and do that a bit more and do the play/treat thing (I will as well, when I'm home).

In the meantime, having the vet check her out is a good idea - sometimes UTIs don't always show up with a lot of symptoms until they become more severe.
That is definitely the plan.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm.
She likes hectic it would seem :).
I don't recall if I mentioned, but you could try some music during those times, MusicForCats.com is one source you could take a look at.

Let us know how things go!

Oh by the way, try a wetted washcloth (actually, well rinsed prior to this if you use scented dryer sheets), partially freeze it and try giving that to baby Dom to chew on ;)