Kitty squints his right eye a lot...why?

superkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

Need some advice. Ive realized that my kitten squints his right eye a lot. Idk if its much of problem or something that he just does...im taking him to the vet at the end of the month. He only squints it every now and then its not squinted all the time. He has a lot of energy, he eats healthy, plays a lot, his poo looks worm free anything. Has anyone had this problem before? Any advice or input is much apperciated. Thanks guys!

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's very occasional squinting then it is probably fine - however, if you notice that he is squinting a lot, it's probably an eye infection of some sort. Eye infections in cats are pretty common (caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi, etc.) because it's commonly caused by the feline herpesvirus - this can cause an ocular disorder called conjunctivitis (which is inflammation/redness of the membrane that coats the eye).  You may also notice some ocular discharge (clear, yellow, even green-colored) - this is a symptom of an eye infection as well. Although this is not a common symptom, he may also start exhibiting the early signs of a URI- sneezing and sniffling.

A visit with the veterinarian is key to an accurate diagnosis.  The examination will evaluate the eye for signs of trauma, look for systemic signs of an upper respiratory infection, and evaluate all the structures of the eye. He/she will give you the adequate and appropriate treatment for the infection (either topical ointment/eye drops or topical antibiotics for viral infections. 

It’s important to remember that many eye problems look alike in cats and a physical examination from the veterinarian is vital to get an accurate diagnosis. While eye infections are common in the cat, other diseases such as glaucoma, foreign bodies or anatomic defects may look similar to the untrained eye. 

Good luck 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, when you mentioned sneezing it reminded me that he snores when he sleeps, always his nose makes a whistle sound too. Hes been snoring for a while now. He doesnt seem to have any discharge in the eye. Both his parents are ferel though. His father lives out in my garage and my sister pointed out that his father also squints his eye a lot. I really hope its not AIDS or something. Im thinking i should schdule my appointment for sooner.

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anne just posted about a new eye infection article here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/273297/eye-infections-in-cats#post_3508600 I'm sure it will help you out! 

About snoring - snoring in cats definitely isn't as common as it is in dogs (in fact, Persians and other short-nosed breeds are the most likely natural snorers in the feline world). More than often, snoring can be a sign of a health problem - most commonly URI. Cats exhibit signs of URI when going through an eye infection, but your kitten may just be having a URI and no eye infection. The best idea at this point is to consult your vet and have him diagnose what is going on.

If he was born feral, then he may have developed a contagious disease from his parents and other cats (maybe URI, maybe something else). I would check with the vet to see. But he may be completely healthy after all.

BTW: If you have any questions about socializing feral cats/kittens/anything to do with raising them, a good option would be to visit our Caring for Strays and Ferals forum here: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/9/caring-for-strays-and-ferals

Good luck. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey thank you for the response! He only sneezes in carpeted rooms. So i think he probably allergic to dust or something. I will check in with vet ASAP. Hes pretty good with people and other animals. He loves my dog a lot. I socialized them in the car with my pup behind the cage. Once my kitty realized he wasnt a threat he warmed right up to him. He is also pretty good with other cats. I have 2 females in my house he gets a long with one them fine the other one doesnt like him much though. Lol

Last edited:

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If that's the case, he might be allergic to dust pollens/possibly dust mites. I would check with the vet just in case he still is in the early stages of the eye infection (I know I sound like a broken record 
). It's great to hear that he's settling in well, even with the puppy. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ooh! my kitty does the same thing. except every other week he switches the eyes. lol

He's always done this, and as per my vet, no eye infections involved here (the first time i noticed i ran to the vet)

I like to think that he's winking at me...in the most laziest way possible