Kitty on Darwin's Chicken Raw, but showing signs of constipation

lunarnova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moose has been eating the Darwin's raw chicken and loves it.  I've been feeding almost 100% raw since Monday alternating between the Darwin's and the S & C turkey.  His transition went really well and he accepts his new diet with gusto lol.  Last night when I got home, there was some poop in his litter box, but as the evening went on, he seemed to be showing signs of constipation (licking his bottom, tail was more droopy).  He did not seem to be straining in his litter box that I could catch and since he is a vocal kitty, his meowing did not seem out of order.

I decided to add a bit of pumpkin to his S & C this morning to see if that will help.  Could the Darwin's have too much calcium in it or is it more of an adjustment for Moose's digestive system?  I do add a bit more water to the Darwin's to make it more moist and his urine output is excellent.

I guess I'm just wondering if I need to tinker with his food at all aside from the pumpkin.

Thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just not sure if this is a sign of constipation :dk: He pooped just yesterday, he is not straining (which in my experience with constipation with raw, it is quite noticeable).... I also saw blood sometimes around the poop from ruptured vessels (not much, but a little).
Licking his bottom can be a number of things, including anal glands- I would watch him a little longer before jumping into the constipation conclusion. Just my 2-cents, FWIW

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked it up, and the Ca:p ratio is 1.3:1, so it really shouldn't be a problem... If he's not in and out of the box, straining to go, I'm not sure the issue is constipation. :dk:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunarnova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, thanks for the reassurance.  I guess I'm a little hypersensitive to his issues lately after all the antibiotics and loose stools that I didn't want him to go to the extreme opposite.